• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

can you make an mp4 video on page disappear after it autoplays?

New Here ,
Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was trying to look up a code but could'nt find out how to do this if it's even possible.

TOPICS
Code , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

I totally agree with Nancy's answer, if I come across a website that plays a video automatically, then I will never return.

But to answer your question, the video can be hidden using intricate JavaScript code as shown here: https://memberfix.rocks/hide-youtube-video/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.  Autoplay does not work on all devices and web browsers especially if it contains audio. 

2. Autoplay is widely regarded as intrusive and annoying. For this reason, many people block autoplay in their browser settings.

3. The use of Autoplay is not recommended.  Don't rely on it to start playback.  See the specs below.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/HTMLMediaElement/autoplay

4. If you make the video disappear, how will users access it again? 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree with Nancy's answer, if I come across a website that plays a video automatically, then I will never return.

But to answer your question, the video can be hidden using intricate JavaScript code as shown here: https://memberfix.rocks/hide-youtube-video/

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh awesome thanks for the link but the reason I'm asking is because I want it to play the video on a demo site I'm creating and the video is gonna play ounce then load the site, kinda like an intro animation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so I have an mp4 video file in my site folder that i have made and i want it in this code on dreamweaver html. What would i type to replace the youtube files that are in here? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try using javascripts setTimeout() and hide the videos container after a set time (obviously set the time to the length of the video, or  a bit longer), example here .

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 29, 2020 Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"What would i type to replace the youtube files that are in here? "

This is not an endorsement of what you're trying to do.  I think it's bad from a usability standpoint.  But to answer your last question, upload your MP4 video to YouTube and use the YouTube API that Ben posted. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2020 Mar 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Youd could used 'ened' to detect when video is finished, see here

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 29, 2020 Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you really need to do this then its best to check if the video has finished then hide it or remove it. I think that can be accomplished using some javascript.

Personally l wouldnt try to time how long the video plays for and then hide/remove it because there is a possibility of lagging which will result in the video being removed before it finishes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines