• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CC Libraries Change Default 'Edit' Program For Images

Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Dreamweaver in the CC Libraries panel, when I right click > edit on an image Photoshop is launched by default. I want to change the default to Adobe Fireworks.

I have changed the file associates in Adobe Bridge to associate all image formats with Fireworks and already have Fireworks set up as the only editor for all image formats in Dreamweaver prefs.

Nothing to do with Windows 10 default file associations either.

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.

Paul-M - Community Expert

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

Just to reiterate I know how to set default editors in Dreamweaver via preferences > file types/editors, I have been using Dreamweaver since 2000 !!!. I have deleted Photoshop entirely from the the file types/editors settings in Dreamweaver and ONLY have Fireworks set as an editor for jpeg, png, gif  as I wanted to see if it had any effect on the CC Libraries panel default 'edit' program..... It doesn't

I don't really think this is a specific Dreamweaver issue per-say and it shouldn't have been

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to Dreamweaver support forum​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can set any image editor you want using the Dreamweaver Preferences screen.

img-edit-pref.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if CC Library respects preferences with an EOL image editor like Fireworks.  Libraries are synched with Photoshop, Lightroom, Illustrator, InDesign and others.  And it's probably not possible to synch with Fireworks since it predated the CC Library by several years.   To be honest, I rarely use CC Library.  So this is all just speculation.  

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It most certainly does. I have Dreamweaver 18 set to use Fireworks CS3 as the default editor. Works flawlessly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I already have Fireworks set  as the default image editor in Dreamweaver, I'm talking about the CC Libraries Panel in Dreamweaver CC 2018, right click on thumbnail > edit option, its a different thing altogether. Its probably not supported/possible as Nancy said, Adobe don't think the only program on the market that combines good bitmap editing features/solid vector tools, v/good web/ui design features along with fast workflow is important.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALsp  wrote

It most certainly does. I have Dreamweaver 18 set to use Fireworks CS3 as the default editor. Works flawlessly.

Does Fireworks open from your CC Library?  That was the question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea  wrote

ALsp   wrote

Does Fireworks open from your CC Library?  That was the question.

The library and assets panels are non-functional for me in Dreamweaver 18. Have been since I installed. Actually, those panels always have been totally useless relative to my workflow. Never use Bridge, either. Never use Photoshop. Ditto for all Adobe apps except for Dreamweaver and Fireworks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I regularly use PS, AI, Acrobat Pro & Bridge.     But Fireworks & Lightoom never won me over.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea  wrote

I regularly use PS, AI, Acrobat Pro & Bridge.     But Fireworks & Lightoom never won me over.   

That's fine, but totally irrelevant. If the editor Preferences do not apply to all parts of Dreamweaver, then this is simply another case of bad interface design. As for EOL products, that is also totally irrelevant. A preference option for setting a default editor needs to be agnostic. What if someone's editor of choice is GIMP, or Paint Shop Pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't a Dreamweaver question.  It's a Creative Cloud Libraries question. 

Sync digital assets in Adobe apps | Adobe Creative Cloud Libraries

The same rules don't apply.  CC Libraries sync with other Adobe products but not Fireworks because it's too old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I neither use, nor have a desire to use any Adobe features other than Dreamweaver. To me, it's a big waste of time and resources. But thanks for trying to be helpful 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tthat's your prerogative.  But as an ACP, you have access to all CC products and versions if you wish to explore them.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had access to free Adobe (and Macromedia) software off and on since 1998. My work does not require anything other than Dreamweaver. So, I guess it's a good thing I am a Dreamweaver ACP

The only other Adobe software I've used is Acrobat, but I stopped several years ago when I discovered Microsoft Word compiled the types of PDFs I need in a fraction of the time Acrobat took, without heating up my hard drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used Fireworks since 2000 it works for me; bitmap/vector editing all in one and I find Photoshop slows me down (but a part of that is down to familiarity and what you're used to for sure). Adobe want me to use 2 different programs (XD + Photoshop). when one could do it.

I'll use Fireworks for a while longer yet until a worthy single app is available to replace it for Windows users.

We're going off on a tangent now - don't worry about the CC Libraries/Fireworks integration I can live without it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2018 Sep 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like you, I use Fireworks for all my graphic work (vector and bitmap) and it works like a charm.... at least for what I expect as result for my graphics and images...

and as you noticed Adobe makes the use and flexibility of use transverse  of this software more and more difficult in CC solutions..... as you can see on the following movie, it is impossible for me to define Fireworks as the default software for JPG and Gifs formats... ?

09.03.2018-06.23.46

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you running Fireworks on a Virtual Machine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nope, Fireworks is perfectly running directly on W10. but no way as you can see on the screen grab to set it as a default editor from within DW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2018 Sep 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works for the OP.  But the question was not how to set preferences in DW.  It was how to use Fireworks with CC Library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think everyone has gotten your point

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A prime example of why people don't use these forums anymore - sarcasm from a forum mod. Lets not forget you're the one who didn't read my original post properly in first place.  I'm not sure why an extension developer is an ACP anyway ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think everyone, including me got Nancy's point. I think unthinking vitriol on the part of many who use this community is the problem. So, would you like to discuss my qualifications. Please feel free.

This forum has been dying for years and it has nothing to do with sarcasm - imagined, perceived, or otherwise.

There are not many quality extension developers left. Unless you would like to rewrite history, extensions are the reason Dreamweaver became successful. My company was the first company to develop commercial client-side extensions, one of the first to create any extension, and - believe it or not - I was one of the first 3 Dreamweaver Evangelists appointed by Macromedia. I'm also pretty damn code at coding. If anything, we should all be nostalgic... not nasty.

In conclusion, I think it's obvious I misread your post, and assumed (wrongly) that you were having problems changing the default image editor for Dreamweaver, instead of for CC Libraries. I apologize for that. But I take offense at your "style".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2018 Sep 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand your point Nancy, but how would make Fireworks work linked to CC library, when it is impossible for me to make Fireworks simply works as a linked editor to Dreamweaver ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2018 Sep 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have Fireworks set as the primary editor for jpg/jpeg, png, gif in Dreamweaver preferences > File Types/Editors then you should be able to open images in Fireworks from within Dreamweaver by double clicking on the file from the file panel or by right clicking > open with Fireworks.

I'm using the most up date version of Dreamweaver CC 2018 with Fireworks CS6 on Windows 10 and it works for me, if it doesn't work for you there's an issue of some kind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2018 Sep 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you read may first answer (n° 18) and watch the movie linked, you'll see that I canno't set Fireworks as default editor in DW...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines