Highlighted

Changes to on-line payments in EU.

LEGEND ,
Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a warning to everyone about the up-comming changes to payments on-line from credit/debit cards in the EU, (starting middle of September).

All EU countries will require an extra check to verify the payee when making payments on-line, see -

https://stripe.com/gb/guides/strong-customer-authentication

This new system is not easy to use, and will require extra checks by the card issuers to authorise payments. This is in addition to the current 3 or 4 digits on the card, and the visa/mastercard secure authorisizion, (a personal passwork, that the user inputs 3digits of). The system is not easy if you have more than 1 card, (even then many may not use) as I recieved a type of card reader that I have to 'set up' for 1 card and another requires authorisation codes that will be sent to a chosen device, (sms text, banking app, email).

If any of your clients are taking payments on-line, it may be worth informing them of this change. I suspect a lot of 'abandoned payment processes' will happen, especially in the first fewmonths.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Changes to on-line payments in EU.

LEGEND ,
Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a warning to everyone about the up-comming changes to payments on-line from credit/debit cards in the EU, (starting middle of September).

All EU countries will require an extra check to verify the payee when making payments on-line, see -

https://stripe.com/gb/guides/strong-customer-authentication

This new system is not easy to use, and will require extra checks by the card issuers to authorise payments. This is in addition to the current 3 or 4 digits on the card, and the visa/mastercard secure authorisizion, (a personal passwork, that the user inputs 3digits of). The system is not easy if you have more than 1 card, (even then many may not use) as I recieved a type of card reader that I have to 'set up' for 1 card and another requires authorisation codes that will be sent to a chosen device, (sms text, banking app, email).

If any of your clients are taking payments on-line, it may be worth informing them of this change. I suspect a lot of 'abandoned payment processes' will happen, especially in the first fewmonths.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 25, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

Excellent! I can invest yet more time in wasting more time, not to mention the endless frustration caused.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 25, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't worry Os, next year the process will be reviewed to see if it can be made simpler. There is also the banks position regarding on-line payment fraud to consider then. In that if the site supports old unsecure browsers, and that browser is used for a transaction that is later reported as a fraudulant use, the site concerned will be held partially responsible for allowing the fraud.

It will probably only apply to card processing services like worldpay and Paypal or large enterprises processing their own payment, but it is unclear if the site sending the customer to these payment gateways will also carry some blame, (share the costs).

It's a good time to be retired. As even for small sites the legal responsibilities have grown way beyond those that small site developers can possibly keep pace with.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 25, 2019 0
osgood_ LATEST
LEGEND ,
Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

Don't worry Os, next year the process will be reviewed to see if it can be made simpler.

I'm only just getting to a grips with self-check-out tills.......I'm moving on to the space gun style ones next, when I recover. Faster like F**K they are not, most notably those stupid ones where you have to put everything into the baggaging area and then pack it all afterwards instead of as you go along. Life isnt as easy as it used to be when you could actually communicate with another human-being!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 25, 2019 1