Highlighted

check-out overwrites local file and check-in overwrites server file.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I check-out a file it is downloaded and overwrites the local file.

When I check-in a file it is uploaded to the server and overwrites server file.

Is there anyway to stop this?

A better behavior would be for Dreamweaver to compare first and ask.

AFAIK, the only way to do that is to right click the file(s) in question and do a comparison.  And this will work only if you have declared a comparison app in DW (like WinDiff.exe, which is free - last I checked.)

V/r,

^ _ ^

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

check-out overwrites local file and check-in overwrites server file.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I check-out a file it is downloaded and overwrites the local file.

When I check-in a file it is uploaded to the server and overwrites server file.

Is there anyway to stop this?

A better behavior would be for Dreamweaver to compare first and ask.

AFAIK, the only way to do that is to right click the file(s) in question and do a comparison.  And this will work only if you have declared a comparison app in DW (like WinDiff.exe, which is free - last I checked.)

V/r,

^ _ ^

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 22, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not used the check-in/check-out feature and judging from your description, I am glad that I haven't.

Just a couple of comments,

• if you work alone on a project, do not use check-in/check-out
  • if the project is managed by a group, go to Help and submit your request as per
  • If you work in a group, it may be worthwhile considering using Git

Ben

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 22, 2018 1
LEGEND ,
Mar 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I'm concerned, this is expected behaviour.  When you "check out" a book from the library, you take it out of the library; when you "check in" the book after you've read it, you put it back in the library.

BenPleysier​ makes a good point.  A repository keeps track of changes and allows you to undo things, even if done days/weeks/months/years ago.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 23, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I get what you are saying, but when I check-out a book from a library it does not destroy the book I have at home.

I am looking for a way to make Dreamweaver compare the files before check-out/check-in. It has the sync codes in dwsync.xml and should be able to use that to see if it needs to ask before overwrite.

Too much to ask?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 23, 2018 0
LEGEND ,
Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

V/r,

^ _ ^

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2018 0