Highlighted

Confusion in the age of Dreamweaver CC

New Here ,
Mar 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So just to be clear on this...Dreamweaver does not support server behaviors and I have to use a commercial extension to communicate and develop a website that draws information from a MySQL database??? My apologies if this comes of as rude but isn't the reason many use Dreamweaver is for the fact that you can do this easily? Do developers not design and create sites anymore with Dreamweaver? I say that since there is a huge push from Adobe for XD and UI/UX development...which, don't get me wrong, is a good thing...but without a robust development tool that does not require commercially available add ons to make it function properly and make these marvels of UX/UI development what is the purpose of Dreamweaver then? It makes it no better than tools that preceded it like WebWeaver, Homesite or GoLive. I may be ranting...And again I apologize but I'm a bit confused when this product is marketed to make things easier but requires extensions fron another company to do so. Can some one clarify? I Dreamweaver being improved? Phased out? Combined into a bigger suite of tools?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Confusion in the age of Dreamweaver CC

New Here ,
Mar 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So just to be clear on this...Dreamweaver does not support server behaviors and I have to use a commercial extension to communicate and develop a website that draws information from a MySQL database??? My apologies if this comes of as rude but isn't the reason many use Dreamweaver is for the fact that you can do this easily? Do developers not design and create sites anymore with Dreamweaver? I say that since there is a huge push from Adobe for XD and UI/UX development...which, don't get me wrong, is a good thing...but without a robust development tool that does not require commercially available add ons to make it function properly and make these marvels of UX/UI development what is the purpose of Dreamweaver then? It makes it no better than tools that preceded it like WebWeaver, Homesite or GoLive. I may be ranting...And again I apologize but I'm a bit confused when this product is marketed to make things easier but requires extensions fron another company to do so. Can some one clarify? I Dreamweaver being improved? Phased out? Combined into a bigger suite of tools?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 21, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you to an extent on needing more support for mySQL with code hinting or a better way to manage databases, but I am glad to see the server behaviors as they were gone because they were not being updated enough to be useful.

Many developers now do not necessarily code their own solutions from scratch and it is far more common in the business world to see a CMS (Content Management System) being used, whether in the traditional format like Wordpress/Drupal or the headless variety such as Prismic/ButterCMS.  I think DW is in an in-between state though at the moment because it tried to do everything and there is way too much in web development now (app development included) that is continuing to blur the lines.  Maybe DW needs to be separated in the Creative Cloud, maybe it just needs a rebuilding from the ground up, but whatever it is there is definitely a future for it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 21, 2020 0
osgood_ LATEST
LEGEND ,
Mar 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to the Dreamweaver road map the ability to connect and query a database is coming back using a more up-to-date workflow, l suspect PDO, rather than mysqli which replaced mysql, which was why the old server behaviours were removed, mysql was out of date.

Dreamweaver has largely been stagnating over the past 10 years not really keeping pace with a fast developing environment. Its a good solid html editor but nothing more and it comes at a premium price, when others are much less or free of charge. Gotta keep your fingers crossed that Adobe addresses that situation and starts to offer something more unique.

In the mean time you might want to investgate something like Wappler. The company behind that built extensions for DW but got fed up with it moving backwards so invested in their own editor. Personally l would not use it as it produces 'fake' coding in my opinion  but gets the job done and is suitable for anyone just looking to build an app or a company website. Its not for the serious developer looking for a long term career in the industry..........choose your weapon according to your own circumstances

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 21, 2020 0