• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

connection string problem

New Here ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi been happily using dreamweaver for years connecting to MS Access databases with the following string

"Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & Server.MapPath("/App_Data/AreaFacts.mdb")

but am now using a newer version of MS Access database whth the extension .accdb but cannot find a connection string that works for the above database

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know anyone who uses Access data anymore. Sorry. 

See if this helps you -

https://www.w3schools.com/asp/ado_connect.asp

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its just a small local business site with a small amount of dynamic data in it and it works so no need to change to sql server and very easy to move around.

Will probably just change back to the earlier version of access.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Access is great for things like keeping lists.  But it should not be used in a production environment.  Ever.  Regardless of whether or not it is allowing multiple users to make changes, Access was never intended to be used in a web environment.  It's great for keeping track of your business checks written, and when you need to provide that information to your tax preparer, but should not ever be used for a live production server site/application; it just wasn't meant for that.

If cost is a factor in your refusal to use a true db, then look at MySQL or any of the other open-source and free or near-free options.  They will serve you much better than Access in an enterprise scenario.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi WolfShade

I understand what your saying but as a small business who maybe gets a 100 visits a day from local people needing a locksmith it works perfectly fine, I have never had an issue with it and when i first got into bussiness many moons ago I learnt initially using MS Access and ran the whole business on it as that was all I knew at the time.

We used to run automated sms txt systems for various companies including Television competitions, we also interacted with a national supermarkets checkout tills for giftcard sales/activations system and all this was ran using a website running on access and we never had an issue with it.

At the end of the day its worked for me and now I only want to run a small site for my small business its simple, easy and works for me.

But none of that was what i was asking all i wanted to know was what connection string to use for the newer version of MS Access accdb.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"...all i wanted to know was what connection string to use for the newer version of MS Access accdb."

Google: "MS Access (your version) connection string"

There may have been more MS Access users here in the past, when DW and the forum were more widely used, but now days the liklihood is pretty low that many who use it will ever see your post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines