Highlighted

Converting frames to CSS

New Here ,
Jul 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could someone please tell me how (or if it's possible) to change an already completed website using frames, to one using CSS.  Or will I need to redo the entire site?My concern is the comment that frames are old school and eventually won't work and/or cause all sorts of problems.  My original work was creating when Macromedia still owned Dreamweaver.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Converting frames to CSS

New Here ,
Jul 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could someone please tell me how (or if it's possible) to change an already completed website using frames, to one using CSS.  Or will I need to redo the entire site?My concern is the comment that frames are old school and eventually won't work and/or cause all sorts of problems.  My original work was creating when Macromedia still owned Dreamweaver.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 01, 2018 0
LEGEND ,
Jul 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

css is for styling and layout.

You could use iframes, but there are a lot of reasons not to. Depending on what your current frames do, will depend on if iframes will work as a future proof method. There are many security issues to consider when using iframes.

Unless there is a good reason for your previous use of frames, (and moving over to iframes) you should consider if moving the content previously displayed in the frame to a database, to create a dynamic site.

https://www.w3.org/TR/2017/REC-html52-20171214/semantics-embedded-content.html#the-iframe-element

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 01, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apart from social media embed codes,   I cannot think of any good reasons for using frames or iframes.    Honestly, if your site is that old, it's time to rebuild it top to bottom with modern coidng standards.   A lot has changed since Macromedia went out of business more than a decade ago. 

PS.  You really should change your screen name to not include your email address.  It's a magnet for spam bots and email harvesters.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 01, 2018 0