• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Corrupt Files

New Here ,
Apr 08, 2019 Apr 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks. Something strange is happening with Dreamweaver's file manager.

I just upgraded to Dreamweaver 19.1 but have noticed this in earlier versions as well.

I'm using MacOS 10.13.6. I also have AVG installed but I'm able to reproduce the below whether I have it enabled or not so that doesn't seem to be a factor.

Otherwise just a very normal setup / nothing unusual with my network or software etc.

So we normally have production and development sites, each with separate FTP accounts. I would sync both and often use FileMerge to compare the two sets of files. I've been noticing recently that certain files seem to have differences that are unexplainable (because they were happening to files that we weren't changing as part of our work e.g. JS libraries).

On closer inspection, these files would contain strings of unknown characters (see screenshot).

Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 11.14.22.png

If I view the original file on the web server using the file manager in Plesk, this corruption is not there.

I dug a little bit further and tried downloading the file using a third party FTP client.

There is nothing wrong with the file on the server. When I download the file with Cyberduck, there is no corruption. When I download the file with Dreamweaver, the corruption seems to happen.

Has anybody else experienced this issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michaelh16436857,

Thanks for sharing the screenshot and detailed description of the troubleshooting steps that you have performed.

As your files are getting corrupt after upgrading to the Dreamweaver 19.1, I would suggest you open these files in Texteditor, as this type of problem occurs because of the file format. Try copying the entire code and create a new file in Dreamweaver with appropriate extension and paste the code in it.

Please try these steps and let me know if it works for you.

Regards,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Harshika thank you for your response.

I have tried the following:

1. Open the original file in TextEditor

2. Create a new file in Dreamweaver

3. Copy and paste the code from the original file into the new one

4. Save the file in DW (overwriting the old one)

5. Upload the file to the remote site

Whilst this appears to solve the problem in the short term, if I Quit and then re-open Dreamweaver, then download the file again, the file is corrupted once again. It seems to happen whenever the file is downloaded.

Is there a long term solution to this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen corruptions occur when files are moved from Windows to server to Macs and back again.

Go to Preferences, Code Format.  What type of Line Break are you using?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy thanks for your help.

We are a small web development agency with three instances of Dreamweaver on different machines, however they are all set to LF line break type. Full settings are as follows.

Screen Shot 2019-04-09 at 10.12.17.png

There are no discrepancies between the code format settings across the three instances.

Could it be some other setting somewhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi michaelh16436857​,

Can you please confirm the Encoding type of the document. We suggest you to try changing the Encoding of the document to the correct encoding type of the file downloaded. This setting is available within Page Properties dialog. You may have to save the document post changing the Encoding type.

You can invoke Page Properties dialog from File menu.

If the issue is still reproducible, can you please share the file with us so that we can investigate the issue internally.

Below is the screenshot for your reference.

Please confirm if this resolves the issue, else will investigate this further.

Thanks,

Nayan

Dreamweaver Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there.

I have tried changing the encoding however this doesn't seem to resolve the problem. The unknown characters are still present in the file.

When I download the file via Dreamweaver then view it I notice the encoding is in Western (ISO Latin 1), however all files should be in UTF-8.

When I download the file directly from the server using a file manager, the file is correctly encoded as UTF-8, however when I download the exact same file via Dreamweaver it is in ISO Latin 1.

Is Dreamweaver setting the encoding?

You can download both files via the following link. The first jquery-ui.min.js is the original and correct version, which I have downloaded using the file manager. The second file jquery-ui.min 2.js is showing the unknown characters (e.g. line 7 col 53).

WeTransfer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 11, 2019 Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi michaelh16436857​,

Thanks for providing the test files. We are unable to reproduce this issue internally with our FTP servers. Hence, can you please provide us the server's file encoding details of the FTP server from where you are downloading the file if possible.

Also, it would be great if you can provide us a test account credentials for us to connect to your server. This will help us in replicating the issue and investigate it accordingly. This will be used for internal investigation purpose only.

You can write to me at kankariy@adobe.com .

Thanks,

Nayan

Dreamweaver Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nayan I have just sent you an email.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 22, 2019 Apr 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi michaelh16436857​,

We have not received your email yet. Can you please send it again.

Thanks,

Nayan

Dreamweaver Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Nayan

My original email was sent on 16 April and seems to have been delivered - I received no bounce message. I have just re-sent it now to kankariy@adobe.com.

Thanks

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines