• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creation of site added all files on drive - can I delete the site without losing all my files?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't set up a site in Dreamweaver for a long time. A few versions have been released in the interim. I am now trying to create a new site and was surprised when I attempted to do this and Dreamweaver added everything on my drive (I was creating the site at the root level).

I am afraid that if I delete the new site and try again, I will lose all my files. I looked through the forum but couldn't find anything about this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Just to clarify terms, a site definition or STE in Dreamweaver  does not contain any files.  The files are physically  located wherever you specified them to be on your hard drive.   You can safely delete a site definition in Dreamwaver.  It will have no effect on the actual physical files on your hard drive.

Go to Site > New Site and tell DW which folder should contain your site files.  Example, C:\MyTestSite\  Unfortunately,  I cannot post a screenshot because this forum is currently rejecting

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't delete any files at this stage until you get a properly working site.

Have a look at How to set up a testing server in Dreamweaver

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just to clarify terms, a site definition or STE in Dreamweaver  does not contain any files.  The files are physically  located wherever you specified them to be on your hard drive.   You can safely delete a site definition in Dreamwaver.  It will have no effect on the actual physical files on your hard drive.

Go to Site > New Site and tell DW which folder should contain your site files.  Example, C:\MyTestSite\  Unfortunately,  I cannot post a screenshot because this forum is currently rejecting all images. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines