Highlighted

CS4 - An unexpected error occurred while trying to read style-sheet information

Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lately in DW4 my CSS file has intermittently been giving me the following error when I try save or open .classes from the CSS Styles panel:

"An unexpected error occurred while trying to read style-sheet information."

Here's the CSS file.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

CS4 - An unexpected error occurred while trying to read style-sheet information

Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lately in DW4 my CSS file has intermittently been giving me the following error when I try save or open .classes from the CSS Styles panel:

"An unexpected error occurred while trying to read style-sheet information."

Here's the CSS file.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 23, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A warning: Duplicate property text-align in

.disclaimer {

text-align:left;

font-size:11px;

text-align:center;

color: #343735;

}

An error: Color has an invalid value

.quotationattr {

font-family: Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;

font-size: 14px;

font-style: normal;

font-weight: normal;

color: #0;

border-bottom: 2px solid #ddd;

margin-top: 0px;

margin-right: 40px;

margin-bottom: 30px;

margin-left: 40px;

padding-top: 0px;

padding-right: 40px;

padding-bottom: 24px;

padding-left: 40px;

}

Ben

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2017 0
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made the changes you pointed out, but it's still "intermittently" not working.

Here's the new file.

Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2017 0
Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we safely assume that all background-images expressed in your CSS are in the same folder as your CSS file?

I ask because I prefer to organize my site's assets in separate folders for images, css and scripts.  See screenshot.

CC-StarterPageAssets.jpg

Having said that, my path to background-images would be different than yours because my CSS is in one folder and images are in another.

../images/filename.png

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2017 0
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't build the website but, yes, it does appear that the background images are in the same folder as the CSS file:

bknd-imgs.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2017 0
Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If  your code validates without errors, see links below:

- CSS - http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

- HTML - http://validator.w3.org/

- HTML5 - https://validator.w3.org/nu/

then try Restore Preferences.

Restore preferences in Dreamweaver CS4, CS5, and CS5.5

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2017 0
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My web guy ran one of those tow validators. I'll have to ask him to run the other one. The problem exists for multiple webpages, FWIW.

Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2017 0
Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem does not appear to be caused by the code that you have made us privy to. Perhaps the problem lies elsewhere. The best way for us to help you is for you to supply the link to your site.

Ben

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2017 0
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

www.argentechinc.com

There are some pages not accessible through the menu which is what I've been working on, so that's where it's been occurring that I've been seeing, but they're in the root directly and it's happening on multiple pages.

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2017 0
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's one of the hidden pages it's been happening on:

Contributing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2017 0
Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JayNewWeb  wrote

Contributing

Have a look at Showing results for http://www.argentechinc.com/contributing.shtml - Nu Html Checker in particular entry #26. I am not saying that this is the definite cause of the problem,it is a matter of elimination.

Ben

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2017 0
Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JayNewWeb  wrote

Contributing

This page is not so bad [Invalid] Markup Validation of http://www.argentechinc.com/public/ - W3C Markup Validator

Ben

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2017 0
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really appreciate the help. I'm not sure how much examining this file is the way to find the cause, though. I want to please point out that this same issue has been manifesting for another page on this site, also in the root, that used to work fine all along before. That's not a page I want to share publicly here, though.

And the problem cropped up only recently, for what it's worth. It all worked fine through the last time I worked on pages about a month ago or two ago. And I've been using the same style sheet for some time.

The behavior has manifested about equally with either of those two pages in question (I haven't really tried working in other files as yet).

And, oddly enough, as I've said, it's intermittent. Sometimes everything works fine, and sometimes:

- I can't even open the settings when double-clicking on the name of a style in the right-hand CSS Styles column

- I can open or create a style but it won't save (I get that error message)

- I can modify and save a style but then it won't reflect the changes when I look in the CSS file

Then, I try again and it might work fine. And I can't find any kind of pattern to the behavior.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2017 0
Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right as far as the errors are concerned, most of them will have no effect on DW. That is why I pointed to the one entry that could cause the problem in DW, namely a non-matching closing paragraph tag.

I have found that DW does not take kindly to coding errors, that is why I asked you to correct that one entry. It is worth a try, after all it is a matter of elimination to get behind the real culprit.

Ben

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2017 0
Nov 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just a question, you said that you was using CS4, what is your OS and platform ?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 24, 2017 0