• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS6 file view scrolling is super slow

Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2019 Sep 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dreamweaver CS6 on my 2017 Mac running Mojave: I have a folder with LOTS of files—all the ads I've run in my online news magazine since 2003! Just trying to scroll down to find things takes literally hours! I need to keep them where they are or the links on the website will break.

Is there a way to rebuild the directory or something, or delete and replace an app file, something that will get me back to work? I'm ready to scream.

Editing files works fine. Trying to edit the home page and put the new ads in is torture.

It seems like it's a display issue, but what do I know?

TOPICS
Publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 15, 2019 Sep 15, 2019

You have  what I call a 10,000 lb gorilla.  That's what happens when you maintain a static HTML site for more than a decade.  Eventually the site gets too big to manage.   Your site would be a whole lot easier and more efficient to maintain if it was dynamically driven from content stored in a server-side database.  WordPress comes to mind as a possible replacement site.  And with the right responsive Theme, you'd be improving usability for ALL devices and giving it a much needed face lift.    A

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rebuild the site cache regularly and it doesn't help, btw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change assets to absolute links on the server with http or https protocol as required.

Move assets to a new folder. on your hard drive  And never, ever sync with remote server.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't exactly understand how I'd do that. These aren't "assets" as far as I know, they're files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2019 Sep 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and if they move to a new folder, doesn't that break all th links?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Files are assets.  See screenshot.

Files Panel (F8), Local Site FolderFiles Panel (F8), Local Site Folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2019-09-14 at 6.52.16 PM.pngI'll do my best to understand what you're saying but my directory doesn't look like that. Not sure how to insert a sreenshot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, I said that in the introduction. I have a small nonprofit and can't afford to subscribe to software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My screenshot is from my Local site folder.  Yours is from your Remote server.

My scrrenshot is from DW CC (latest version).  Yours is from legacy CS6 which is 7 years old and no longer sold or supported.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have  what I call a 10,000 lb gorilla.  That's what happens when you maintain a static HTML site for more than a decade.  Eventually the site gets too big to manage.   Your site would be a whole lot easier and more efficient to maintain if it was dynamically driven from content stored in a server-side database.  WordPress comes to mind as a possible replacement site.  And with the right responsive Theme, you'd be improving usability for ALL devices and giving it a much needed face lift.    Anyway, it's something to think about.

https://colorlib.com/wp/wordpress-newspaper-themes/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working on that! Again as a low-income non-profit it's hard to get help! And the time to design the new site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link. I haven't found an "out of the box" template that has everything I need, but maybe it's in there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the WP Theme lacks functionality you need, look at WP plugins to fill in those gaps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. But I have immediate needs to do some site work and can't pull the WP thing out quickly. I think some of my current problems have to do with the way I "moved into" my newish computer. I'm going to take all my files off onto an external drive, reinstall the system and my software, and replace the files in a better way. The problem only started getting bad after I moved off the old computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I completely agree with your recommendation but that doesn't fix the NOW problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines