Highlighted

css Apply Source Formatting DW 2017

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In DW 2015 I used to be able to format the css code by pressing the Apply Source Formatting button. Each property will end up on one line after the tag.

How can I do this in DW 2017?

So from

.entry p {

line-height: 180%;

margin: 5px 0;

padding: 5px 0

}

to

.entry p { line-height: 180%; margin: 5px 0; padding: 5px 0 }

Hi Okoth,

This feature has been deprecated in DW CC 2017.

Thanks,

Preran

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

css Apply Source Formatting DW 2017

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In DW 2015 I used to be able to format the css code by pressing the Apply Source Formatting button. Each property will end up on one line after the tag.

How can I do this in DW 2017?

So from

.entry p {

line-height: 180%;

margin: 5px 0;

padding: 5px 0

}

to

.entry p { line-height: 180%; margin: 5px 0; padding: 5px 0 }

Hi Okoth,

Thanks,

Preran

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 07, 2016 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit > Code > Apply Source Formatting

To make it easier, you can apply a Keyboard Shortcut

Ben

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 07, 2016 12
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, Ben, but that doesn't answer my question. See the example format in my question.

You have just explained to me where to find The Apply Source Format, but I already know that. I am looking for a way to customize that format to all properties on one line. This was possible in DW 2015 but it looks like not any more in DW 2017.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 07, 2016 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Dreamweaver 2015 I did this to set the css code preferences. And when I pressed the Apply Source Formatting I got all properties nicely behind the ID or class tag on the same line. So, no hard enter after the semicolon.

DW 2015: Set CSS code formatting preferences

• Select Edit > Preferences.

• In the Preferences dialog box, select the Code Format category.

• Next to Advanced Formatting, click the CSS button.

• In the CSS Source Format Options dialog box, select the options that you want to apply to your CSS source code. A preview of the CSS as it would look according to the options you’ve selected appears in the Preview window below.

Indent Properties WithSets the indentation value for properties within a rule. You can specify tabs or spaces.

Each Property On A Separate LinePlaces each property within a rule on a separate line.

Opening Brace On Separate LinePlaces the opening brace for a rule on a separate line from the selector.

Only If More Than One PropertyPlaces single-property rules on the same line as the selector.

All Selectors For A Rule On Same LinePlaces all selectors for the rule on the same line.

Blank Line Between RulesInserts a blank line between each rule.

• Click OK.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 07, 2016 2
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Okoth,

Thanks,

Preran

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 08, 2016 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There goes my most-used tool...

I hope we'll get it back in the next version.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 08, 2016 8
Nov 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe a partial deprecation?

The action still exists under Edit > Code > Apply Source Formatting and still appears to be pulling formatting from somewhere (I'm guessing an XML file in the AppData folder).

The Tag Libraries Preferences menu item appears to have been lost though.

I noticed the program auto inserts while hand coding, where is that preference coming from and how do we change it to something we want?

This would be a definite step backwards from the last version of DW if we lose the ability to indent the way we want.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 08, 2016 3
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Precisamos de uma função para minimizar o CSS no DW.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 11, 2016 0
Nov 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rename the file with a .scss extension, setup the CSS Preprocessor process and every time you save the scss file you will automatically create the version of your choice.

Who knows, this may be a path to learning Sass as you go.

Ben

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 11, 2016 4
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preran, thank you for explaining that this feature has been deprecated in DW CC 2017. Can you elaborate on why it was removed, and suggest an alternative solution?

As a front-end designer, I frequently need to clean up old (or badly written) HTML that includes in-page CSS. Why were tag library formatting preferences retained while CSS formatting preferences have been removed?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 29, 2016 8
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you kidding me???

Where is the Dislike button...

It's cool that Dreamweaver now includes preprocessor functionality. But users should not HAVE to use a preprocessor just to apply source formatting to basic standard CSS.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 20, 2017 1
Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please bring this feature back!

Our organisation uses massive stylesheets, worked on by many people, yet we do not use any preprocessing technology. The CSS code formatter was an extremely useful tool but now, using the default (and only) DW2017 CSS source formatting, every style is on a separate line and it is adding huge weight to our CSS files. We need the ability to compress CSS as before and I can't for the life of me firgure out why you would remove this feature but keep the ability to edit HTML/ASP/JSP/PHP/etc tags. Not everyone is using, or wants to use preprocessors.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 06, 2017 3
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHY???? This was one of the most useful tools in Dreamweaver, and it exists in any other html editors I've tried. Why deprecating it????

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2017 1
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really would like to have that feature back, it was very helpful. Yet another reason never ot upgrade Adobe products anymore.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This answer is better then the one Adobe's staff provided

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 02, 2016 0
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are a star. Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 11, 2016 0
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Woohoo... Thanks for you help

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 03, 2017 0
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I got so frustrated with this formatting problem that I quit using Dreamweaver for the time being and just switched to a text editor... and was pleasantly surprised by how much better/smoother/quicker it is, even though I do like the visual editing at times. Oh well, it'll be nice if they bring it back, but for now just skipping it for css isn't as bad as I expected.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2016 5
Contributor ,
Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just signed in to ask about this.  noticed after I upgraded that apply source formatting wasn't working anymore. Now I know why. Sucks when useful things get removed. Ah well. In the meantime, for anyone interested, I like to use things like www.cleancss.com/css-beautify/ as well.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2016 3
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Losing the ability to format CSS how I need is particularly frustrating for me as an html email developer (embedded CSS).

I - like many - have Dreamweaver on 2 Macs - office and home - both of which now "apply source formatting" entirely differently from each other - as they have each inherited the (configurable) settings from the previous version of DW.

Unfortunately - at the point of upgrading - my settings were very different on the 2 machines - and now we've lost the ability to configure them easily - I'm stuck that way, making DW rather frustrating.

I suppose I could remove the Adobe suite entirely and reinstall to get a "factory" re-set... but then I'm still stuck with my CSS formatting as Adobe think it should. Not cool.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 08, 2016 3
Explorer ,
Dec 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deprecated??? What?  Where is the Product Manager here. Are you kidding me?

I updated to the latest sub-version of DW 2017 this morning right before a coding test and it about killed me. You can't be serious that this is a use case -- half the developers I know put CSS attributes on separate lines. 

If I lose this job opportunity because of this I am going to pretty mad.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 29, 2016 2