Highlighted

CSS rule list

Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8/7/19

Dreamweaver cs6.

I do basic web design using Dreamweaver in design mode, for lack of code knowledge.

When I highlight a div box in designer mode say < dive#somthing>

I have to search in depth down the css rules list to find that rule in order to make changes.

Is there a way that when I select the div box in the designer that it will highlight that CSS rule in the list so I don’t have to search down the list every time to find that rule, open it make my changes these lists are very long as you know.

Tony

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

CSS rule list

Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8/7/19

Dreamweaver cs6.

I do basic web design using Dreamweaver in design mode, for lack of code knowledge.

When I highlight a div box in designer mode say < dive#somthing>

I have to search in depth down the css rules list to find that rule in order to make changes.

Is there a way that when I select the div box in the designer that it will highlight that CSS rule in the list so I don’t have to search down the list every time to find that rule, open it make my changes these lists are very long as you know.

Tony

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 08, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I recall correctly (it's been a while since the old CSS Style window existed in the program)...

At the top of the CSS Styles window, should be two buttons "All" and "Current". Current should be the active one to limit the list to just the current selected tag or selected style, depending on which staircase icon you have active under the Rules heading further down...

I think.

Probably.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 08, 2019 1
Aug 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DW CC has a Quick Edit panel which makes this simple.  You highlight the selector name and right-click or use Ctrl+E  shortcut.

But you're still using CS6 .

OK.  If you know the selector name, open your stylesheet and use Ctrl+F to find it.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 08, 2019 1
LEGEND ,
Aug 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea  wrote

DW CC has a Quick Edit panel which makes this simple.  You highlight the selector name and right-click or use Ctrl+E  shortcut.

But you're still using CS6 .

OK.  If you know the selector name, open your stylesheet and use Ctrl+F to find it.

That's one of DW's or should I say Brackets more innovative features. The downside is that it leads to poor, lazy practices and an unkempt stylesheet if you use the 'new rule' feature as that will just insert the new css after the last rule in the css stylesheet. Good managment of a css stylesheet file is to group your 'same' selectors together. However given the lazy practices of todays web-developers does it really matter anymore - we are not really even meant to code anymore, let alone look at the code, at least some of us still have some pride in what we do and produce, but it's a fast dying trend.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 09, 2019 0
Aug 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes OS, you're right and I agree.

but, if the developer does not pay attention to this classification, and to this order of common sense and good practice... no matter how he or she adds a rule, whether it is manually by opening the file, or by using quick modification, it will give the same result, i. e. he or she will add it anywhere......

but if the developer is well organized, and not lazy, by using the quick edit feature, once the new rule is created, it is possible to click on the file name, and the stylesheet will open at the level of this new rule... now free for the developer to drag and drop it where he or she wants...

it avoids leaving the HTML doc to search for the file, it remains ergonomic and cognitive, fast, easy, and above all fast to edit. at least for what I think

I remember that when this feature was first added, we was quiet a few to ask for the intelligent implementation... CSS designer had badly implemented it, if you remember it... but bracket remove all this first step work.

well that said... I never use either, because it doesn't work at all with sass

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 09, 2019 0
osgood_ LATEST
LEGEND ,
Aug 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/B+i+r+n+o+u  wrote

but if the developer is well organized, and not lazy, by using the quick edit feature, once the new rule is created, it is possible to click on the file name, and the stylesheet will open at the level of this new rule... now free for the developer to drag and drop it where he or she wants...

Its probably going to be too much trouble for most to open the css file and drag the selector so its grouped along with other selectors with the same name. We are into the era of quick automation, generally once you get sucked into that form of workflow you begin to loose all discipline.

Most decent editors will jump you to the css file that the selector is in once you click on the declaration. There's more of a chance if you do want to add an additional selector it's going to be grouped along with what already exits.

I always think it is worth the extra time to do some good house-keeping as it makes management a lot easier in the long run.

I don't use the feature myself as I use neither DW or Brackets. My comments where just an observation for anyone who does and would like to consider developing correctly, rather than being taught bad practices.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 09, 2019 0
Aug 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you try to ALT click on the selector name in the HTML code, you will have a navigator panel that will open and show you the applied CSS to this current element.

clicking then on a rule, it will open your css file to the right place.

but that wont work if you use Sass

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 08, 2019 0
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't remember much about it.

In the latest DW CC, there's a convenient  feature called Quick Edit.  You may right-click on a tag, or use Ctrl+E to bring up a panel for editing that selector's styles.You can also google it, it is very easy to find. please let us know if you resolve this issue.

Have a nice day!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 09, 2019 0
Aug 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

read comment #2 from Nancy...

but the OP has DW CS6... not CC

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 09, 2019 0