Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CSS Variable

Oct 27, 2018 Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have started using CSS variables and Dreamweaver CC ver 19 shows an error saying that it expects a RBRACE at line 4 col 5

3     :root{

4         --main-color: #f29829;

5          }

The variable works but I have to keep shutting the page and re-opening to see it in split view

Anybody know what might be going on here?

Ian

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

ianb76576944  wrote

Thank you to all who took the time to reply here, I was under the impression the Dreamweaver would have caught up with this by now as variables seem to be quite well established now as are css grids. I might stay away from variables for now as I don’t like red error warnings in my code, even if it does work in the browser.

Speaking of which the Live Preview is still playing up, to view pages I am still having to rely upon right-clicking the tab and choosing Open in Browser, so

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dreamweavers code editor currently does not support css variables, but live view, (which is a version of Chrome) does.

Ignore the error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to Paula's advice, I would be a bit wary of using variables as browser support is still in the experimental stage and syntactical elements could change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALsp  wrote

In addition to Paula's advice, I would be a bit wary of using variables as browser support is still in the experimental stage and syntactical elements could change.

It's no longer behind a flag in any browser, and very well supported in all modern browsers.

The only item that one should watch out for, is IE and older device support, but fallback code is well documented, (there is even an extension in VS Code for automatic creation of).

Note - I would put the warning about using css variables, on par with the use of css grid layouts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sort of agree with that 🙂

I have actually spent some time mulling over an extension for CSS variables. Doing fallbacks for pesky IE11 and 10 are a nightmare, though, in an automated setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2018 Oct 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALsp​, you don't get it do you. Us professional web designers/developers do not want your automation, we want to be able to code for ourselves. We want to spend the time so that we can show off our work, not yours. We want to be able to charge our customers the real worth of our creations, not find some shortcut that reduces the website to some sort of junk with a discounted price tag.

I could go on ranting for a while longer, but I think you get the message. Leave us alone.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BenPleysier  wrote

ALsp , you don't get it do you. Us professional web designers/developers do not want your automation, we want to be able to code for ourselves. We want to spend the time so that we can show off our work, not yours. We want to be able to charge our customers the real worth of our creations, not find some shortcut that reduces the website to some sort of junk with a discounted price tag.

I could go on ranting for a while longer, but I think you get the message. Leave us alone.

Are those the same 'professionals' that build computers as a side-line and have been web-developers since last year, or make pizzas and one that you claim is a back-end expert yet prefers to click 54 times to perform a simple operation, rather than hand-code it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Ben was kidding (at least I hope he was). But I'm not sure you were . I guess, Osgood, it's a question of tools... sort of like Emmitt. We make tools, Osgood. They augment.

verb

verb: augment; 3rd person present: augments; past tense: augmented; past participle: augmented; gerund or present participle: augmenting
/ôɡˈment/

1. make (something) greater by adding to it; increase.
"he augmented his summer income by painting houses"

synonyms:
increase, add to, supplement, build up, enlarge, expand, extend, raise, multiply, swell, grow;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALsp  wrote

I think Ben was kidding (at least I hope he was). But I'm not sure you were .

I was, hence the silly tongue

Well trying to be light-hearted about it on a Sunday, at least.

Face With Tongue. A cheeky face sticking its tongue out in jest. Used as a way of stating “I'm kidding” or generally being jovial and not serious. Face With Tongue was approved as part of Unicode 6.1 in 2012 under the name “Face With Stuck-Out Tongue” and added to Emoji 1.0 in 2015.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not up on Emojis. But the little yellow thing looks like the tongue is out of the cheek. If you have raised a teenager, that could have various meanings. Actually, since I lived in the Arizona desert for several years, it could also have indicated that you were thirsty. Anyway, thanks for the emoji lesson.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALsp  wrote

I'm not up on Emojis. But the little yellow thing looks like the tongue is out of the cheek. If you have raised a teenager, that could have various meanings. Actually, since I lived in the Arizona desert for several years, it could also have indicated that you were thirsty. Anyway, thanks for the emoji lesson.

I'm always thirsty, especially if alcohol is on the menu. It's how you look at it, positively, negatively, glass half full, glass half empty. It's not exactly the biggest tongue so easily missed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you to all who took the time to reply here, I was under the impression the Dreamweaver would have caught up with this by now as variables seem to be quite well established now as are css grids. I might stay away from variables for now as I don’t like red error warnings in my code, even if it does work in the browser.

Speaking of which the Live Preview is still playing up, to view pages I am still having to rely upon right-clicking the tab and choosing Open in Browser, so the latest update still seems to have overlooked some issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I should have said in the above post was Real Time Preview doesn't work - keeps telling me I am trying to access an HTML page that can't be viewed on the device??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ianb76576944  wrote

Speaking of which the Live Preview is still playing up, to view pages I am still having to rely upon right-clicking the tab and choosing Open in Browser, so the latest update still seems to have overlooked some issues.

Real Time Preview still doesn't work right in my workflow either, but in CC2019, you can go to Edit > Preferences > Real Time Preview and check the box for "Default to static browser preview" so you can use F12 for Open in Browser instead of using the right click > open in browser menu item.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - that worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do wonder what it's there for if you have to cancel it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ianb76576944  wrote

I do wonder what it's there for if you have to cancel it!

It was a feature that was intended to replace the 'edge, device preview' app, but unfortunatly it has never worked correctly for everyone. It is even dabatable if a Dw user should use it, as it requires the page to be 'sent' to an Adobe server for rendering.

If a Dw user has any restrictions on who may see a page/site, then I personally would question the wisdom of 'sending' that page to a 3rd party server. Also it does not support server side code, so is of very limited use anyway to many.

I think the problems with both real time preview, and w3c spec support are related to the intended user of Dw. The problem with that statement though, is the difficulty of installing extensions, as extensions I would think are much more of a requirerment for none or casual users, than those who just require a good code editor and site managment features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yep, it works great for a static site saved outside of my local testing server and fails utterly for anything within it.

I'm not about to give up the ability to parse server scripting and preview network-wide just so I don't have to hit Ctrl +R in a browser from time to time.

It took two years, but it's nice that they finally put the checkbox into the preferences to default to Open in Browser (the old Preview in Browser).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use LiveReload along with FIrefox browser extension - I haven't been able to work out why the Dreamweaver's Real-Time Preview works sometimes and then decides to stop playing all of sudden!!

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yep, you're right, nothing beats a good old script under nmp to manage the real-time preview... and on all devices simultaneously, not just one

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines