• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Delivering content specific to device.

LEGEND ,
Jan 06, 2018 Jan 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know I said I will probably not post again, but as this covers something that everyone is interested in, (device specific content, and I helped one of the team members who prepared the spec). I decided to break my principles to let you know that the w3c is finally getting on top of the technology required, (or should that be the http working group is).

See - http://httpwg.org/http-extensions/client-hints.html

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2018 Jan 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the heads-up.

I was going to comment on the subject matter, but it opened a can of worms which was driving me crazy,

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ben,

I don't want to go into too many details about using client hints, but what one should remember is that it is aimed at developers using database driven content. Even though the draft uses images as its examples, it is for all content, the use of images was decided on as images are the most common item people understand the differences between the different content requirements.

It does not replace the use of srcset/picture, but is meant to provide a way for server side code to get the device info required to 'decide' what content to send to the user. One of the biggest problems with device specific content is how to handle a request from the small mobile device user to show the full content that would be available to the desktop user, without the use of cookies. Using client hints, a user must only request the full desktop content by selecting it, and the site code then resends the 'headers' to specify what the user requires, cut-down mobile friendly or full content. One could use detail/summary in html, but then all the content is still delivered, and it would not take into account user preferences. It is a trade-off, and it is only meant to offer the developer a method of working with the various content requirerments, and like all things since the first iPhone, a best practice in and for its use will take time.

Naturally it suffers from the usual browser/device support problems, but most modern server installations and devices have started implementing. Full support will probably never happen, as too many small developers do not update or even care about using modern methods, (the change from mysql to pdo/mysqli is similar, or classic asp to .net).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Naturally it suffers from the usual browser/device support problems

That is the part that I was hinting at. Thanks for the extra info, it should be interesting.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Paula,

Some of us actually LIKE it when you "break your principles" and post. 🙂

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines