Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Detect if browser has RSS/News Aggregator installed

LEGEND ,
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, all,

I was wondering if it's possible to use JavaScript to detect if a user's browser has an RSS Feed Reader or News Aggregator extension installed?

I'm tasked with adding an RSS Feed subscription to a project, and I noticed that if a browser does not have a Feed Reader or News Aggregator then clicking the link just displays the code contained within my .rss file.  So, I would like to use a conditional whereby if a Feed Reader isn't installed, the RSS subscribe link doesn't show.

Any thoughts?

V/r,

^ _ ^

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an api that will detect native installed apps, if I remember correctly look for info on the js function -

getInstalledRelatedApps()

You will have to check on browser support, but I dont think IE has support

It will obviously not work on mobile devices, so you will have to ask the user to open in an installed app, but I think something changed in iOS 10 and a method to transfer to the app was I think introduced, (not certain, sorry).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 05, 2018 Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestion, pziecina.  I'll Google it and see what comes up.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a thought, but have you checked if the feeds you wish to use support streamed data?

The reason I ask is because including streamed data into a web page, would not require an 3rd party app or extension, (though it would require iOS11).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The RSS is for our News page, and will not contain any streamed media.

I looked at your suggestion for getInstalledRelatedApps, and that has very little support, and is more for if you have both a web page and an application so that if a notification gets sent out it doesn't appear in both for the user.  It has to be attached to the application (which we do not have one.)

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By streamed data, I was refering to streams via web sockets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The following code will read the plugins of a browser and display what plugins there are:

<div id="pluginDisplay"></div>

<script type="text/javascript">

var x = navigator.plugins, y = x.length, z = "Plugins: <br />";

for(j = 0; j < y; j++){

z += navigator.plugins.name + "<br />";

}

document.getElementById('pluginDisplay').innerHTML = z;

</script>

If there is a way to do the same for extensions, that is what I am trying to find.  Is anyone aware of a way to do this?

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines