Highlighted

Dreamweaver 20.2 / 21.0 FTP won't connect... Filezilla connects just fine

New Here ,
Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, last week, Adobe Dreamweaver 21.0 suddenly stopped connecting to my FTP server giving me the "An FTP error occurred... not authorized to make the connection due to local firewll blocking FTP data."

When I try to connect using Filezilla to the same FTP server, it connects with no issues.

I uninstalled Dreamweaver 21.0 and put Dreamweaver 20.2 back on my computer and was able to connect again.  I haven't used Dreamweaver in a few days and today when I attempted to connect to the same server, I am getting the same FTP error in version 20.2 now, too.  It makes me thing it's something in my computer, but I can't seem to figure out what.

I have checked very firewall setting that I can find (I have my Windows Firewall turned off and am not explicitly blocking any ports on my Router... I hadn't changed anything that I knew of between the time that Dreameweaver FTP was working last week and when it suddenly stopped working.

I can't seem to find any new information online that has helped.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Jason

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Nancy OShea | Adobe Community Professional

Win10 doesn't tell us much. We need the version & build #.

In Windows search, type winver followed by enter key.

Assuming your hosting server isn't messing up, try creating a new site definition from scratch.  Delete the old one. 

If you still can't connect, what does the FTP log say?  Window > Results > FTP log.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Dreamweaver 20.2 / 21.0 FTP won't connect... Filezilla connects just fine

New Here ,
Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, last week, Adobe Dreamweaver 21.0 suddenly stopped connecting to my FTP server giving me the "An FTP error occurred... not authorized to make the connection due to local firewll blocking FTP data."

When I try to connect using Filezilla to the same FTP server, it connects with no issues.

I uninstalled Dreamweaver 21.0 and put Dreamweaver 20.2 back on my computer and was able to connect again.  I haven't used Dreamweaver in a few days and today when I attempted to connect to the same server, I am getting the same FTP error in version 20.2 now, too.  It makes me thing it's something in my computer, but I can't seem to figure out what.

I have checked very firewall setting that I can find (I have my Windows Firewall turned off and am not explicitly blocking any ports on my Router... I hadn't changed anything that I knew of between the time that Dreameweaver FTP was working last week and when it suddenly stopped working.

I can't seem to find any new information online that has helped.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Jason

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Nancy OShea | Adobe Community Professional

Assuming your hosting server isn't messing up, try creating a new site definition from scratch.  Delete the old one. 

If you still can't connect, what does the FTP log say?  Window > Results > FTP log.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 09, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to add that I get the same error no matter what FTP server I attempt to connect to.  If I change the port from 21 to anything else, I get errors (because it's the wrong port, of course) but not the same error as when I use 21.

Again, connecting to any FTP server on Port 21 from Filezilla works perfectly fine.

Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 09, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep using FileZilla while you troubleshoot.  

Did you contact your hosting provider to see if anything changed on their end?

Which version of Windows?  Did you receive any Windows updates since last week?

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 10, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for your reply!

I am running Windows 10... been using Dreamweaver on this machine for a long with with no previous issues.  My computer definitely did install some Windows Updates in the last week (I woke up to some unexpected restarts at least twice, but to be honest, I can't remember what was just before or just after I started having trouble with DW's FTP.

I did actually contact my hosting company.  After I wrote the post yesterday, it occurred to me that all of the sites I am trying to connect to are different virtual hosts on my hosting reseller account (so basically the same server).  I contacted their tech support, but have not heard back yet.  That does (now) seem to be a common denominator, but I can't understand why Filezilla would work, but not DW FTP.  (I don't know enough about what goes on on the back-end to know why the hosting server would "care" what FTP client is being used.)

I also read posts about clearing preferences and making sure Windows "Application Layer Gateway Service" was started.  It wasn't, but starting it and rebooting hasn't solved the issue either.

Filezilla is getting the job done - just so much more conveninet staying inside DW.

Thanks again,

J

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 10, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:  Contacted my hosting company, they say no issue there.

I have narrowed it down to one particular IP address.  As I mentioned, I have a reseller account (It's with Hostgator) and when I NSLOOKUP my domains, several share the same IP address and others share a different IP address.  I am able to connect to one of the IPs, but not the other.

Filezilla still works and FTP:// directly from browser works, too.

I have disabled / re-enabled Windows Firewall and specifically added an exception for Dreamweaver to no avail.

Is there any setting I am not aware of within Dreamweaver capable of blocking access to a particular IP address?

Another thing I noticed is that every time I restart my computer, I have to re-enter my Creative Cloud credentials before I can use Dreamweaver.  (Not sure if this is related to my other issue... Not sure if this is related to my turning firewall off and on).

J

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 10, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*SORRY - I don't see an EDIT option in this forum...

My last UPDATE was wrong... I realized that the sites I thought were working were actually showing the local file-tree... when I click the connect button I am getting the error message as I was before.  (I'm tired 😞 )

To to reiterate - DW FTP will not connect to any of the sites from my reseller hosting account (even those with different IP addresses).  It WILL connect to sites from completely different servers.  FileZilla & Browser FTP connect just fine to all.

Also, I turned Firewall off again and DW is still requiring me to enter my Creative Cloud creds after a restart - again not sure if this is a related issue or not.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 10, 2020 0
Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy O'Shea, ACP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 11, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again,

My complete Windows Version is:
Microsoft Windows

Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.630)

(My system just installed an update last night - I still have the Dreamweaver FTP issue and other issues that seems to have started around the same time)

I confirmed that I am able to log into the same webservers via Dreamweaver running on my laptop so I don't think it is on the server side.

Other strange things that started around the same time:

-Whenever I restart my PC, I have to re-enter my Adobe Creative Cloud credentials in order to use any Adobe program. (I didn't used to have to do this after every restart)

- I was having an issue (and may still have the issue, but it's inconclusive at the moment) where even after signing into one Adobe program (say Dreamweaver) after a restart, when I attempted to open a second Adobe program (say Illustrator or Photoshop) I would get a message saying that the program has to close because I do not have a subscription - no option to sign in.  If I opened Creative Cloud and signed in there, then those programs would work.  (Again, I don't believe it worked like this before - once I signed into one program, the rest would use that same, initial sign-in.)

I just "repaired" Creative Cloud (I couldn't uninstall it and reinstall it because I have other dependant Adobe programs installed and at this time, didn't feel like taking the time to uninstall / reinstall a dozen programs) so I'm hoping to see if this helped.  (Hence, why I don't know if I still have the issue or not - I haven't tested enough times since the repair.)

- I am not sure if it is related, but I am running Photoshop 22.0.1 and seem to have several issues... One is frequent hangups and program crashes upon starting the application, another is program crash upon clicking the "Photo Merge" option - it never works.  (I haven't tested every single feature of PS to know what is / isn't working, but those two are examples that have been happening repeatedly and I wasn't experiencing either of them before.)

...and yes, Dreamweaver is still not connecting to anything via FTP.

* I have tried uninstalling / reinstalling Dreamweaver and Photoshop

* I have "repaired" Creative Cloud

* I tried making sure Dreamweaver was allowed through my Windows Firewall (besides turning it off altogether)

Any other ideas of what I could look for / try?

Thanks you,

Jason

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 20, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to add... you asked about the FTP log... the FTP log is always empty.  One or two times I've seen a random character here or there in the box, but otherwise it just shows up empty.  If I close and reopen the log, looks the same.

(This is a screen shot of the FTP log and the error... This is DW 2020, but DW 2021 looks exactly the same)

screenshot.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 20, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And one more update... I suppose you could call it "solved" but it's still a mystery...

I just tried Nancy's suggestion of creating a new site and it worked!

I then created a new site that was a duplicate for an existing site and that worked, too!  I just wiped out all of my saved sites and as I'm recreating them and testing them, all the new ones seem to be working.  I have no idea what caused all of my existing saved sites to start throwing that (apparently erroneous) FTP error, but simply replacing all those sites seems to do the trick.

Thank you all for your input

1  (Still have some other issues going on, obviously, but at least I can work a bit more productively now.)

J

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 20, 2020 0
Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No doubt a recent Windows update caused your WMI service to stop working. Please read this help article.

Creative Cloud signs you out or asks you to sign in repeatedly

https://helpx.adobe.com/manage-account/kb/troubleshoot-creative-cloud-sign-out-sign-in.html

Hope that helps,

Nancy O'Shea, ACP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 20, 2020 0