• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dreamweaver 2017 code coloring on MacOS Sierra?

Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to customize my editor code colors. There is a Brackets theme solution for people on Windows, scroll down to Per Berntsen Nov 3, 2016 8:15 AM:

Re: Code colouring in dreamweaver 2017

My question: does anyone know where exactly (in which folder path) one can find the main.less and package.json Brackets style files on the MacOS Sierra operating system?

Or, how to edit Brackets code color theme for Dreamweaver 2017 in MacOS Sierra?

Thanks,

Dean

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 19, 2016 Dec 19, 2016

Hi everyone,

Please update to the latest version of Dreamweaver 2017.0.1 where most issues with code coloring have been addressed.

See Dreamweaver 2017.0.1 is now live  for more info.

This document  https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/using/customize-code-coloring.html has been updated to reflect changes.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no way to customize code coloring in Dreamweaver 2017.  The colors are chosen based on the theme you select for the coding view.

If this is important, we suggest that you report it to the team using Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Preran,

So there is no way in the Mac version of Dreamweaver 2017? Because these folks found a way in the Windows version:

Re: Code colouring in dreamweaver 2017

I'm asking you because if there is no fix for the Mac then this update basically breaks Dreamweaver for me. It's useless. And Dreamweaver is the real reason I pay Adobe the monthly fee to use the software. I have emailed the bug report forum. Thank you.

Dean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that I know of. I will share with my team to see if they have anything to suggest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, look forward to hearing what you come up with. 

For your reference, the Window's solution is reply #9 here:

https://forums.adobe.com/message/9110188#9110188

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second that. If there's no way to restore the old code coloring, I'm going back to CC 2015.

Among other things, the commented text is now almost impossible to read - which is important to me. In the Dark theme it almost blends with the background. Not to mention that it's now in italic. Italic text is hard to read and it should never be used in large blocks of text - especially in code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Preran,

Please see potential solution in reply #5 above. If this is correct, can you explain how we can do this and not hose the app? Specific steps would be helpful and needed.

Thanks,

Dean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a quote from a post by David Powers in the DW Beta forum:

They're not. On macOS, the themes are in a hidden folder. You need to make the change using Terminal and sudo.

The files are at the following locations:

/Applications/Adobe Dreamweaver CC 2017/Adobe Dreamweaver CC 2017.app/Contents/www/extensions/default/DarkTheme/main.less

/Applications/Adobe Dreamweaver CC 2017/Adobe Dreamweaver CC 2017.app/Contents/www/extensions/default/DarkTheme/package.json

/Applications/Adobe Dreamweaver CC 2017/Adobe Dreamweaver CC 2017.app/Contents/www/extensions/default/LightTheme/main.less

/Applications/Adobe Dreamweaver CC 2017/Adobe Dreamweaver CC 2017.app/Contents/www/extensions/default/LightTheme/package.json

See the whole thread here: https://forums.adobeprerelease.com/dwalpha/discussion/189/visual-coloring-code#latest

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Per! Will check it out and follow up once I can test. Appreciate your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info!

Just one note: those files are not hidden - they're are just inside the Dreamweaver app package.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi leo.r,

Do you know how to edit the Dreamweaver app package? And still have the app work? I have Terminal but do not know how to use it for this.

Thanks,

Dean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

right-click Dreamweaver > Show Package Contents

Make sure to duplicate the app before you experiment with any files inside the package.

I didn't try the recommended solution yet so I don't know if it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi leo.r, that works. Super!

Here are useful Brackets themes:

Brackets Themes

And one that does the PHP dreamweaver theme:

GitHub - cithukyaw/DreamPHP: A dream theme for Brackets that simulates PHP coloring scheme of Dreamw... 

Thanks for your help,

Dean

P.S. Hey @adobe, this is a kludge way of changing the theme. Please re-add the theme functionality to the actual admin area of Dreamweaver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info Dean!

Will try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2016 Nov 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and thinking of it - it's hard to comprehend why would Adobe remove the themes functionality from Preferences. like what were they thinking? "omg users will be so happy! they can't select themes anymore - except for the two we shove down their throats. so exciting!"

interestingly, all the themes are still there:

/Applications/Adobe Dreamweaver CC 2017/configuration/themes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They replaced the old Code View entirely, with Brackets, my guess is they simply rushed the program out of the gates to coincide with MAX.

I'm holding out hope that they'll fix it in the first dot release. Until then, I'll hold on to CC2015.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the explanation, Jon. That makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would just like to point out that Adobe is stupid if they don't think this is important.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This color scheme is hideous. you guys are complete idiots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2016 Nov 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a vote here so we can hopefully get full flexibility back for code colouring:

Restore Full Code Colouring Flexibility – Adobe Dreamweaver CC: Feature Ideas

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dreamweaver CC 2017 is HORRIBLE!!!!  I agree with the code colouring - what the heck???  Plus all my code is auto indenting - don't dictate to me how I should read my code!  Why is it doing that?  I'm switching back to 2015 until this gets fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Umm, can I get my code colors back please.. like really? My php code has been red for 15 years, now it's black and I can't change it??!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, same problem here. PHP tags just blend in to the rest of the code now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can anyone tell how to change the theme of Dreamweaver...
i was pick the black color by mistake while installing it... now i want to change it to white

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Dreamweaver CC => Preferences => Interface. There are only 4 color themes and 2 code themes as of now for some reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines