Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dreamweaver 2020 Roadmap

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

We are excited to share our plans for Dreamweaver in 2020, and seek your feedback.
You can listen to the Dreamweaver 2020 roadmap plan here: https://my.adobeconnect.com/pb89bk8cye9a/.

Here are the stories we are planning for Dreamweaver in 2020:

• Bootstrap v4.4.1 Support
  • HTML & CSS workflow Improvements
    • Updated HTML Code Hints, Error Reporting, and UI workflows (Properties Inspector, HUDs) to support latest HTML Living Standard
    • Updated CSS Code Hints, Error Reporting and, UI workflows(CSS Designer) to support latest W3C CSS Recommendations
    • Code Hints for CSS variables
  • Updated PHP Code Hints & Error Reporting for v7.4
  • Database and Server Behaviors workflows
    • Natively supported Database workflows (MySQLi, PDO)
    • Support PHP 7
  • Seamless Live View Editing Improvements
  • Code color customization through UI Preferences
    • Customize colors for specific tags
  • On type linting messages for HTML, CSS & JS
  • Update to latest versions of OpenSSL, OpenSSH, curl, Ruby, & NodeJS
  • Faster file opening for site roots hosted on network paths

You can subscribe to our pre-release program here to get hands on early Dreamweaver builds with these changes as we make progress.

Regards,
Dreamweaver Team

TOPICS
Bootstrap , Code , Server side applications

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the Database and Server behaviours I think you don't need to reinvent the wheel, just update to the new standards the old InterAKT (ADDT) solutions that you already own and Dreamweaver will return back to dominate its category as in the Macromedia's days (maybe with some new improvements as PWA support).

For any considerations on which road to take, read this post on the Wappler forum where you can check how InterAKT's solutions are still appreciated (and used):
https://community.wappler.io/t/why-at-this-time-we-are-not-renewing-our-wappler-subscription/16970

-------
Old we agree, need to change we agree, but you know what its works. Just have not found anything else that comes close to Kollections in terms of ease of use and functionality
-------

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@michele

I read that post and smiled (a lot)........thats's not an isolated post, some get 'delisted' quickly.

I think they have an issue where it was meant to be simple but has become far too complex. It's like the program is not quite finding its target market, which was always meant to be those with little web-development knowledge, its proving difficult.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok but I haven't reported the Wappler post (that I consider a great tool but unfortunately for a small market niche... my opinion obviously) only to give my suggestion to which "path" the works of the new "server behaviours" should be focused "... in terms of ease of use and functionality".

That's it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read the wappler post you refer to, and smiled when I came to post 4 or 5, (the one giving examples of what they could not do).  What I found interesting is that every item mentioned was possible using the Dw Db 'spry' extension for Dw, (the one that was only realeased via Adobe labs).

So the Dw team does have examples of the code requiered for not just the mysqli/pdo sb's, but the ajax/xml/etc, mentioned in that post, (though it does require updating).

As for the 'roadmap' for Dw. Interesting, but what does the team interpretate as 'latest html/css/js standards'. Then comes the question of testing, as Dw, (and its forums) have lost LOTS of the people with experiance in modern server-side and client side usage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting to read the latest addition to the Wappler post. 'Dreamweaver long gone', we'll yes, until this announcement, I would have fully agreed. Let's hope the Adobe team actually fulfill on their promises this time.

Problem is clear - DW is currently NOT enough, whilst Wappler is TOO much and TOO confusing for many, so there needs to be something between the 2, maybe bringing back up-to-date server behaviours into DW will be enough, for many.

I still maintain that 99% of what you see on the web DOES not need complex js front-end frameworks or more recent node.js back-end workflows. They came  about simply as a result of progression, not really out of nesessity, in MOST use cases. Do I use them, for sure sometimes, but that's because I'm just following trends like an idiot does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The post just got 'unlisted' - now there's a surprise isnt it, no. If someone cannot voice a constructive, unabusive opinion about a product in the products forum, without it being 'unlisted', that's a sure cover up that something is not quite right. Poor, very poor, when you cant get a true reflection about the product in the products forum and there's not enough independent users who can be bothered to post to an independent review website, they are the same old suspects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Teodor (DMXzone) is absolutely right about one thing, "Tools like Dreamweaver are long gone".
Now I hope that something is changing in the management/development of Dreamweaver and they give us finally a new tool, able to generate advanced web projects according to the market demands... but (as said from Wappler customer "Mike" in the Wappler's forum post) with the easy of use and "advanced" functionalities as it was in the days of InterAKT/Macromedia.

About Wappler, I repeat that is a great tool but not for everything and everyone... anyway, I don't see similar products currently on the market so I hope it will soon reach the success hoped for by their developers.
I know that they have a strange way of managing relationships with their customers, Teodor and George are very direct and, mostly, they don't like receive criticism (e.g. making the mistake of hiding posts on their forum that criticize their products)... but they are very capable in their work and they can offer truly exceptional assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michele (Mike), have you had a look at my little pet project at https://github.com/Wappler/wCart. I am working on this in my spare time, which isn't often.

Hopefuly you still have a working copy of Wappler to run the site on your local system.

I doubt that I could have created this using anything but Wappler. @Birnou has the right idea of what should be included in a revamped Dreamweaver

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ben,

your project on GitHub seems good but I no longer have the Wappler license since May 2019 and therefore I cannot test it. Mybe in the next months I'll reactivate the licence (for App projects where I think Wappler has a great future) and I will definitely take a look at your work.

About @Birnou, I agree with you, let's see what DW Team will be able to do in the coming months.

Anyway, I'm not the "Mike" of the post on the Wappler's community.
If you are interested, ask to Teodor of DMXzone who is the user that criticized their product.

P.S. In the project.json file of your GitHub work, you left the password and other details of the database connection, I know it refers to the local installation but maybe it would be better to hide them (sometimes we usually use the same credentials both locally and remote and the "hacker" are very careful with these details).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michele, sorry for my incorrect assumption, Mike seemed to be the Anglised version of Michele and both of you lamented the demise of InterAkt, as do I.

Thanks for the heads-up, the password is generated at random when installing the Docker engine in Wappler. I have two versions of the application installed on my system and Wappler has assigned a different db password as well as a secret site security key for each of the sites. There is no way I can use the credentials of one for the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'I doubt that I could have created this using anything but Wappler'.

I would assume that is just based on your own coding abilities and nothing to do with the capabilities of any editor? Creating a simple js cart should really be in the scope of someone who calls themselves a web-developer but the profession is so greyed these days as to who is who and what is what.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A person can have all the brainpower in the world to be successful, but hanging on to wrong assumptions is what's limiting. - Alice G Walton

Normally I stay with the facts; sometimes assumptions get in the way as illustrated in my previous reply to Michele.

I did apologise and at no time did I resort to narcistic remarks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not one for making assumptions just stating facts. Some like to 'hide' those facts, unfortunately for them if I get their first, I'm going to expose those facts for the greater benefit of all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Michele, although your analysis may have some truth to it, however I must admit that since interAKT was bought out, I have not followed their evolution closely.

Today, working on a database, it is imperative

• that the JSON format be used for exchanges exclusively for the SB,
  • that AJAX queries can be used by the SB,
  • that data-* attributes can be used by the SB,
  • that JSONP format can be generated by the SB,
  • that automatic completion tools be optimized by the SB
  • that sensitive data management be encrypted on the fly directly by the SB

in short... for years SB have been rethought in terms of architecture, deployment, use... and as I said I haven't followed the news of InterAKT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Ben has mentioned that Dw should include all in a revamped Dw as per your post Birnou, I feel I should reply in your post.

Saying that only Wappler can do these now, is correct, (providing one wants them as point and click) but the old Dw Spry Db extension, (which I mentioned previously) could also do them all, (for free). I don't think that ajax usage should be by default though, (as in Wappler). Instead it, (or all you mention) should be options that users can decide to use or not, depending on the project/site.

It's interesting though, that what Dw was capable of 13/14 years ago, is now up for discussion. As I can remember that back then very few had any interest in them, and unfortunatly that 'lethargy' also carried over to diss-interest in what html5 and css3  brought to the possibilities in web development as far as most Dw users were concerned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reading your reply, Paula, Donald Booth comes to mind. He was a master at providing technologies that were unique for that time. I also remember copping many criticisms for being a Spry advocate. That's all behind us now. This is what old people do, reminisce. As I do not want to be old, let's look to the future and with a bit of luck Dreamweaver will be part of that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I am old Ben, I have no illusions on that, my mind says 25 years old, my body just laughs. (Joke).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well at least it's official now!

Database and Server Behaviours workflows ARE coming back!

Probably a little too  late!

But I have to say its a very, very, very wise move. A lot of DW users (not me) just want a simple way of connecting/querying a database and getting the information back onto the page, with as little amount of hassle as possible.

I think DW is back in the ball-game when this is implemented as other editors, who have provided a database workflow since DW dropped the ball, are just far too complex for many to understand. These people don't care about js front end frameworks or back-end environments like node.js, docker etc for producing 99% of what is on the web...........hooray.....sense prevails!

Rock on - this is the best news for years in terms of what DW has to offer! For years its been going backwards, so a forward step can't come soon enough. I don't use DW but its kind of close to my heart as its where I cut my teeth and to see it sink as low as it has in the past few years has been particularly gutting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well the Dreamweaver product team teased almost a year ago with the Roadmap butt as of yet they have not deleivered a thing. Thank alot Adobe. Please just discontinue Dreamweaver it[s basically useless at this point anyways. 

If you ever get serious again let us know I am curious how many Dreamweaver users have you lost since purchaed Dreamweaver ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The DW team have been occupied by making the software more compatible with the latest operating systems. Progress has been  slow and disappointing. Many have given up on DW now as its become apparent, through lack of committment and broken promises, that its not a bit of kit within the Adobe stable that they care too much about. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to get back to the roadmap.

I'm wondering if there are also any plans to move the Dw UI into the 'visual' requirements arena that those with limited code knowledge appear to want?

The reason I ask, is that with the demise of Muse and BC, and the promise of 'a replacement' product for Muse users in that forum, the announcements of various features in the Dw roadmap, along with improving the UI of features may be an indication of such a 'wish' by Adobe.

Which then also leaves me with the question of 'testing', which has been discussed previously, as very few Dw users, (and testers) actually use Dw for anything more than 'personal/small' web sites, (mainly static using what was in html4, not html5 or css3). 

So to what standard will these new features be implemented and tested? Or will it be a 'take it or leave it' route to implementation and testing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most probably 'a take it or leave it' route but its better than nothing and brings Dreamweaver right back into the game for the smallish-dynamic-website-developer. You said yourself no-one actually uses an automated workflow for anything but a smallish website, a small app, etc. Everyone else is capable of coding that themselves and it's going to probably be quicker IF you have some basic snippets in the box, probably why some editors are a bit reluctant to introduce a snippets panel, the program will then be mostly redundant, they like the clickety, clickety, clickety,  click approach.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem of testing, (and a 'take it or leave it' approach) is that all 'new' features then become a Dw dev team and their advisors idea of what can/should be done and how. Which lets face it, on past experiance does not bode well for the implementation or for reducing the number of bugs present in them on the realese of the product.

Even thing as simple as srcset and css variables, have caused a lot of discussion in this forum, (for, against and how, what is required). Plus how will css grids/flexbox/multi-column layouts be implemented in a visual way? As reading a few older posts in this forum, a lot of mis-information, (and almost nothing when it comes to multi-column) has been posted. Plus lets not even talk about 'newer' features regarding css grids and flexbox, that are still in development, and as for css shapes/transitions/transforms/animations, lets hope that whomever tackles the implementation and development of those, (and testers) know what they are doing, (remember the original UI for transforms/transitions, was taken from Dw and developed into Edge Animate). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines