Highlighted

Dreamweaver and FTP stalling for Siteground

New Here ,
Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work mainly via Upload on save feature. This means working locally and on every save file which I edit is uploaded to the server via FTP.

The problem is the FTP connection too often stalls. At first it works ok, but shortly after I have to wait each time almost for 15 seconds for each file change to be auto uploaded. Just .... Waiting for server....

It is impossible to work like that and very time consuming.

Does anybody else has the same kind of experience?

It happens only when connecting to Siteground server.

Interesting enough, when using WinSCP for this,... work very smoothly.

But you know,... since we are paying for the Dreamweaver and the FTP is part of it,.. shouldn't it just work? And wouldn't need another software for it.

TOPICS
Error, Product issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Dreamweaver and FTP stalling for Siteground

New Here ,
Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work mainly via Upload on save feature. This means working locally and on every save file which I edit is uploaded to the server via FTP.

The problem is the FTP connection too often stalls. At first it works ok, but shortly after I have to wait each time almost for 15 seconds for each file change to be auto uploaded. Just .... Waiting for server....

It is impossible to work like that and very time consuming.

Does anybody else has the same kind of experience?

It happens only when connecting to Siteground server.

Interesting enough, when using WinSCP for this,... work very smoothly.

But you know,... since we are paying for the Dreamweaver and the FTP is part of it,.. shouldn't it just work? And wouldn't need another software for it.

TOPICS
Error, Product issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 13, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This really sounds like something outside of DW's control.

To me, since it only malfunctions on the one server, it sounds like the server's connection time-out setting is set to a low number, forcing DW to have to reconnect repeatedly. You'll need to log into your server's control panel and see if that number is significantly different from the other servers you're using where DW doesn't have an issue, then change it to match.

That setting is not part of DW's preferences.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 13, 2020 0
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but is interesting with the same FTP credentials using WinSCP, no such problems.

For several projects I just began to use WinSCP.

It is a workaround, but just annoyed a bit because this all is built in Dreamweaver already and just not able to use it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 13, 2020 0
Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, in that case, have you tried toggling the Use Passive FTP and Use FTP Performance Optimization settings in your Remote server's More Options menu?

settings.jpg

That can sometimes have a beneficial effect on server communication.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 13, 2020 0
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried all that, same story.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 24, 2020 0
Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no experience with Siteground.  And I never use auto upload on save.  Apart from the risks it poses,  I know from experience that it's more efficient to upload all files to server in one big burst rather than numerous single sessions. 

That said, check your DW site settings under More Options.  See screenshot.  Try toggling on/off Passive FTP and FTP Performance Optimization. 

More OptionsMore Options

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 13, 2020 0
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes tried that couple of times... No effect.

This is an issue I have about a year already, tried every solution I could find. Just doesn't work normally with Siteground.

Also using sometimes PhpStorm.. works normally. Just the Dreamweaver not.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 13, 2020 0
Ben M LATEST
Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The next time you go to make a transfer in DW click on Site-->Advanced-->FTP Log before you start making the transfer.  Since DW is not freezing or crashing during this and only the FTP is stalling, we should be able to get a reliable log file.  Then take a look at what the log says when the stalling happens.  This could give us insight as to whether the issue is with the connection from DW, or if the server is finding an issue with the connection and is causing issues during the reconnection.

Also, in case we need to test ourselves or in case someone else has run into the same issue, can you confirm the type of connection you are using?  I think it's safe to assume we are not talking about insecure FTP and this is likely SFTP or FTPS.  Correct?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 24, 2020 0
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work this way, better than localhost... to have working instance on the server. At least for me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 13, 2020 0