Highlighted

Dreamweaver CC 18.0 - PHP code hinting for methods

Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there PHP code hinting for methods. For example in PHP Storm we can do this:

https://xenforo.com/community/attachments/forumparent-png.160701/

Notice when I typed $parent-> this popup displays the available methods. Is this feature at all possible with Dreamweaver CC 18.0.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by BenPleysier | Adobe Community Professional

All I can say is: Download a 7 day trial version of Dreamweaver and if you find that it does not work, submit a bug report as in

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Dreamweaver CC 18.0 - PHP code hinting for methods

Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there PHP code hinting for methods. For example in PHP Storm we can do this:

https://xenforo.com/community/attachments/forumparent-png.160701/

Notice when I typed $parent-> this popup displays the available methods. Is this feature at all possible with Dreamweaver CC 18.0.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by BenPleysier | Adobe Community Professional

All I can say is: Download a 7 day trial version of Dreamweaver and if you find that it does not work, submit a bug report as in

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 26, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2017 0
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Thank you for the link. However I have already carefully read that entire page and the only reference to methods is shown here:

I think this might be in error because as I understand it, we should get a window showing the available methods after the -> portion of the object is typed. Please see the first post of this thread, I show $parent-> and a window which pops up in PHP Storm, I don't think Dreamweaver has this option, please confirm.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2017 0
Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ben

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2017 0
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am not sure why the hints of variable are displayed for you and not for methods, also the link shared for snapshot is not accessible to me so I can't validate what is being displayed in other php editors.

As a sample, please see what I tried to see the hints. Let me know if this is what you are trying or there is something else- a sample code snippet will be helpful in that case.

Regards,

Niharika Gupta

Adobe Dreamweaver

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2017 0
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Niharika,

Thank you for your reply.

I have done more research on this issue and if I understand correctly in order for me to see PHP methods code hints I need to do this:

1) Enable Site-Specific Code Hints

2) However in order create Site-Specific Code Hints I need to set up a Test Server.

After doing a little research regarding setting up a test server I have given up. I don't want to set up a test server as I like to keep things simple. I don't want to have a third place where my site files are located, that's just too confusing. This would require all my files to be located at these three locations:

Local

Server

Test server

I hope that in future versions the ability to have PHP methods code hints will not be so complicated. It needs to be made really easy without the need for a test server.

Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2017 0
Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you work with PHP code on a regular basis, you need a local testing server.  To simplify things, my local site is in my testing server's default web folder.   No duplicate files required.  See screenshots.

CC-testingServer1.jpg

CC-testingServer2.jpg

Basic tab:

CC-testingServer3.jpg

Advanced tab:

CC-testingServer4.jpg

CC-testingServer-final.jpg

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2017 1
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy,

Thank you kindly for your detailed instructions.

1) I disagree that a test server is needed. Simple is always better.

2) I would never use wamp as that creates yet another set of variables and things often don't work in wamp. I prefer to test my software on web hosted site in a REAL environment, not emulation.

3) I simply want to have PHP code hints for methods, I don't want to add anything to make it work, this should work WITHOUT a test server.

Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2017 0
Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

southbayriders  wrote

2) I would never use wamp as that creates yet another set of variables and things often don't work in wamp. I prefer to test my software on web hosted site in a REAL environment, not emulation.

That's not my experience.  I have the same PHP version & config set-up on my testing server as my remote server.  If you're not a fan of Wamp, there are others  -- Xampp, Mamp or Mamp Pro for example. I also test everything on the REAL server.   But I can't develop in PHP locally without a test server.

3) I simply want to have PHP code hints for methods, I don't want to add anything to make it work, this should work WITHOUT a test server.

No-can-do

Nancy O'Shea, ACP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2017 0
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anytime you introduce a complex software to emulate a web host you introduce problems. I write add-ons and I deal with many people that have had problems with their local emulation (wamp, Xampp, Mamp or Mamp Pro) not working properly. The simple solution is to do the testing in the environment the software will be running on, that is on a web host, not on your PC.

Lets assume that I want to set up a test server on my dedicated server at the web host, do I have to duplicate the entire site? So again i would have three sets of files:

Local (on my computer)

Live site (at my web host)

Test server (at my web host)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2017 0
Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the kind of work I do, Local testing site & remote server are all I need.  YMMV .

Nancy O'Shea, ACP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2017 0
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Nancy. I really appreciate your time and advice.

Hopefully someone can chime in that knows if a test server has to duplicate the entire site, what a mess that would be. All I want is for Dreamweaver to provide PHP code hinting for methods, does it have to be so complicated to provide this feature?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2017 0
Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it does not require duplicating the entire site.  Only the relevant PHP files that you want to work with.

For example, I sometimes work with WordPress (gag!).    I loathe having an entire WP installation on my system if I can possibly avoid it.   I simply copy over the Theme or child theme files to my local testing server.  The rest can remain on the remote site where the REAL testing will occur.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2017 0
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The relevant files are in the thousands, I really don't want to duplicate those on the server.

Why is a test server required for PHP code hinting for methods? Why does Dreamweaver want to duplicate files for this purpose. I mean the files are already there on the server, I should just be able to reference them and be done with it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2017 0
Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Ben said yesterday, file a Feature Request.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2017 0
Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love it: KISS!

Designate the Testing and Remote servers as one and the same

Local (on my computer)

Live site (at my web host)

Test server (at my web host)

Pros:

One set of files for my site

Broadcast in real-time

Cons:

Broadcast in real-time

Needs a live internet connection

Coding errors can cause problems like endless looping

During debugging, the site will not function

Etc

In my experience, it is best to do the development locally and once (part of) the site is finished and debugged, to then upload it to the live server.

Because server-side code needs to be parsed, you will need to have a local server installed.

When you illustrated how PHPStorm works, I think that you will find that there is no difference in that it also requires a PHP server somewhere along the line. Could it be that PHPStorm has a built-in PHP server, something that Dreamweaver lacks?

My local setup uses the local files folder as the Testing server, which leaves me with two sets of sites, locally for development and remotely as the live server

Ben

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2017 0
Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although this was written for CS5, this article from David Powers is still relevant for the latest version of Dreamweaver Setting up a local testing server in Dreamweaver CS5 | Adobe Developer Connection

Ben

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2017 0