• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dreamweaver CC Deficiency

Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2018 Oct 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This write-up assumes that the Check in Check out facility of Dreamweaver  is active

The actions of updating a library and all the pages that contain that library are totally different in the Creative Suite (CS) versions of Dreamweaver than the Creative Cloud (CC) version and I believe in this respect  the CC version is inferior to the CS versions.

In the CS versions when a Library was updated and saved Dreamweaver would attempt to update all pages that contained that :Library and if all those pages were not checked out Dreamweaver would ask the question of the user if they wanted to check out those pages..  That way two major advantages were gained.  First all the pages containing the library would be updated and the user was made aware, by the check out indicator, which pages were updated and thus needed to be checked in to upload them to the remote server.

In the CC version when a library is updated and saved Dreamweaver will only update those pages containing the library that are checked out skipping all the non checked out pages and provides no capability to tell Dreamweaver to check out the other pages. ,  At the end of the operation the user does not have any clear indication of what pages need to be checked in allowing the remote server to be updated.

Is there any work-around in Dreamweaver CC for this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 14, 2018 Oct 14, 2018

the thought oft converting to server side includes to handle some 250 pages is not my first preference for solving the problem.

As daunting as that sounds, 250 pages can be converted to SSI's quickly with lots of Sitewide > Find and Replace.

As soon as I discovered SSI's back in the 2000s I converted every site I had and never looked back. I have not used DW Templates or Library items since and don't miss them at all.

Ask yourself, if not now, then when?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never been a big fan of Library Items or DW Templates because you have to update all pages locally first and then republish them to server.    In this respect  LIs are inferior to SSIs (server-side includes) which do their magic on the server, not locally.   With SSIs, you edit one file, save it and upload to server.  Done.

Alt-Web Design & Publishing: Server-Side Includes with PHP

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would agree with one exception.  The website was built a number of year gao using libraries and the thought oft converting to server side includes to handle some 250 pages is not my first preference for solving the problem.  If I was starting from scratch I would nor choose libraries.  Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have my sympathies.  Check Out the entire site before you change a Library Item. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the thought oft converting to server side includes to handle some 250 pages is not my first preference for solving the problem.

As daunting as that sounds, 250 pages can be converted to SSI's quickly with lots of Sitewide > Find and Replace.

As soon as I discovered SSI's back in the 2000s I converted every site I had and never looked back. I have not used DW Templates or Library items since and don't miss them at all.

Ask yourself, if not now, then when?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks loads.  I am starting the switch to SSI and that should be a huge help.  Updating libraries has become a horror especially in Dreamweaver CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines