• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dreamweaver CC Personal Dictionary Does not Remember Added Words

Contributor ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I add a word to the personal dictionary, it is not retained. Using "ignore all" retains the word for the remainder of the current spelling check, but then I have to use "ignore all" the next time the word is in a document.

Knowing where the personal dictionary is stored might be helpful, but I don't see information about file locations in Preferences. I'm hoping that somebody else has solved this problem and can provide guidance. I did find an earlier discussion, but it was Mac-centric and I'm on a Windows machine.

System details:
Windows 10 (1803)
Dreamweaver CC 2019
64-bit OS
64GB RAM

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Have you tried running Dreamweaver as administrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried running Dreamweaver as administrator?

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm. Well, thanks! That works; however, I'd prefer not to have to jump through that hoop every time I want to use Dreamweaver. My account is an administrator account (yeah, I know there are hazards there) but not THE Administrator account. Running "as Administrator" allows words to be added and once the word has been added to the personal dictionary, it is recognized as valid when Dreamweaver is run normally.

So the workaround I'll use (hoping Adobe will fix the problem someday) is this:

• Use Dreamweaver normally.
  • During spelling check, exit Dreamweaver and restart "as Administrator".
  • Add any desired words to the personal dictionary.
  • Resume normal use of Dreamweaver.

The personal dictionary file is probably a plain-text file. If I could find it, using a text editor to add desired words might be an alternate workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could right the Dreamweaver shortcut icon > properties > compatibility tab > check the run this program as an administrator checkbox

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Properties" is not a context function that's available for icons in the Task Bar or for icons on the Start Menu, and I don't keep a Dreamweaver icon on the Desktop where that setting would be available. In any event, the UAC warning each time I started Dreamweaver would be bothersome. So I tried to find the location of the personal dictionary file.

It's here:
C:\Users\{UserName}\AppData\LocalLow\Adobe\Linguistics\UserDictionaries\Adobe Custom Dictionary\en_US\added.txt

The file is a plain-text file in ASCII order (meaning A-Z followed by a-z) and there is a blank line at the end of the file. I've confirmed that words can be added to and deleted from the file and that the file is read only when Dreamweaver is launched, so save the file and reload Dreamweaver if you edit the "added.txt".

Useless additional background information:

I added "FooBar" to my personal dictionary so I could search for it using Agent Ransack. That was a horrible choice because FooBar is present in dozens (maybe hundreds) of files. So I tried again, this time with "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious". That wasn't a particularly good choice, either. Because of the length of the word, the Agent Ransack search was extremely slow and it consumed almost 100% of all 8 cores for nearly 90 minutes and ran the temps up to 80 degrees C.

But the problem is solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines