• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dreamweaver changing font awesome icon tags <i></i> to <em>

Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2018 Feb 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize that the original italics tag was <i></i> and is now <em>, so I get why Dreamweaver is changing the tag when I'm working in code view. The problem is nowadays when working with font icons we are using the <i> tag in code to display icons ie...<i class="fa fa-clock"></i>. Is there a way to get Dreamweaver to stop auto-correcting the code every time I click on a line of code that includes the icon code? I don't really want to turn auto correct off completely.

Thanks,

-Ron

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 21, 2018 Feb 21, 2018

I'm assuming you have checked the preferences panel (mine shown here is on Win 10 version):

I had the same issue as well, but actually Font Awesome works fine with both <i> and <em>, and I now use the <em> tag with all of my Font Awesome shortcuts:

example:

<em class="fa fa-user">& nbsp;</em>

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously, if you use the old Italic button from the Properties menu, DW will drop in an <em> as it should, but it shouldn't be changing <i></i> to <em></em> when you click on the code in Code View. That sounds to me like you may have other errors in your code that DW doesn't know how to reconcile, so it tries to fix the <i> tags.

Run your code through the validator at http://validator.w3.org/nu or under File > Validate > Current Document in DW to make sure your code is clean and DW isn't just trying to help repair some issue in your source.

I do not have the same behavior occurring in CC2018 under Windows 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick response, but this is not an isolated issue and it doesn't happen 100% of the time. It's been occurring in many projects over the past couple of years.

My guess as to why this happens would be that while I'm editing a line in code view that contains the <i class=""> the code is temporarily incorrect (as I'm typing) so it auto corrects it. For this reason, I would just like to shut off auto correct only for the italics tag and not completely.

I'm also using CC2018 but on a Mac running High Sierra 13.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm assuming you have checked the preferences panel (mine shown here is on Win 10 version):

I had the same issue as well, but actually Font Awesome works fine with both <i> and <em>, and I now use the <em> tag with all of my Font Awesome shortcuts:

example:

<em class="fa fa-user">& nbsp;</em>

Hope this helps!
Make sure to press "✔ Correct Answer" on this post if this answers your question. Happy Creating!
Anissa • @anissat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Anissa,

When the auto-correct takes place, it erases the class="" so I didn't even realize it functioned normally by just adding the class="" back. No need to turn off the auto-correct function if I just stick with using the <em> class instead.

Thanks,

-Ron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines