Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dreamweaver & Codify to edit existing files

New Here ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone-

I am taking over a curriculum publishing project for a team member who was let go. The company uses Dreamweaver to publish the curriculum which is then packaged utilizing Flexera and available for purchase via a download. Once installed, the curriculum is viewable to the customer on a web browser (not linked to the Internet). I do not leave a protocol for the Dreamweaver project I have inherited. I have files from the previous publication and need to update the content. I am new to Dreamweaver, not versed in code and not sure how to do this. It appears Codify was used to create a template (Stylesheet.css - screenshot attached below)? The second image is a capture of the files I inherited for the project. Any help on how to edit these files or where to begin would be wonderful. Thank you!

stylesheet.css_image.jpg

DreamweaverFiles_Dropbox_Image.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is almost nothing to go on in your post.  Why don't you ask your supervisor what you need to do?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately no one on our small staff of 5 is trained in Dreamweaver so asking for assistance within the company is not an option. I was hoping to be able to open the existing files and make edits but I’m stating to wonder if I have all the files I need because I can’t seem to edit anything. My other option is to start from scratch and recreate the template but I’m not sure how to do that. Apparently it is a custom template.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if it actually uses Dreamweaver at all.

Looking at your screenshot, the name of your site is "ABF Download Test", and you mention missing files. I wonder if you haven't downloaded the back-end files of a Content Management System (that may have originated in DW). That would have the appearance of a site with missing pages as far as DW is concerned, since most of the site would be made up of includes that are pieced together by the server before being delivered as pages to the viewer.

Please don't take offense to this, I'm not trying to be mean...

Plumbers are great with pipes, but you wouldn't hire one to fix the engine in your car.

Being "new to Dreamweaver and not well versed in code" basically means that you really shouldn't be trying to modify the site at all. Even if it were a simple static website, you could easily do irreparable harm to it while attempting to edit/update it through DW. To me, it sounds an awful lot like there's more going on with your site than just static .html pages.

DW itself is really just a tool for writing coding (you can use Notepad and end up with the exact same results as DW). Some items are somewhat automated within it, but if you don't know what you're doing with code, DW is going to be massively frustrating and very "incomplete" feeling to you.

If your company wants to continue updating their site, they really do need to hire someone who understands how that's done. You're a ___________, not a website developer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well said Jon.

sccobb​

If we could see a URL to the online site, it might shed more clues about how this site was constructed. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines