• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dreamweaver connecting to server requiring smartcard authentication

Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2018 Jul 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Previously we only needed a username and password to connect to our Linux webservers and this was set up easy enough in the Sites area of Dreamweaver.  Next week, all of our webservers will require SmartCard login authentication.  We currently use CS 6. Does Dreamweaver now support this?  Might be able to get an upgrade if so.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 25, 2018 Jul 25, 2018

Also, according to this WikiPedia page, PuTTY-CAC will support SmartCard authentication.  There are others that do, too.  Scroll to "Features" to see the list.

I know PuTTY isn't ideal because it isn't GUI, it's CLI.  But, it will work and it isn't too difficult to learn.

HTH,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 has not been updated since Dec 2012.  It's no longer supported.

Use Filezilla Client for SFTP.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct, my question was, is there a newer version of Dreamweaver that supports SmartCard authentication?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 25, 2018 Jul 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I understand, you would like to know if the FTP module in Dreamweaver supports Smartcard authentication. From what I know, there isn't anything within the DW interface itself that supports that feature. What happens when you try uploading a file from DW CS6 to your server currently? Does it not work?

I am not aware of any other FTP application that has this feature. I would like to be corrected though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not used smartcard authentication since the days of windows 2000, but from what I remember it was a workstation to server certification process, and once this was set-up correctly it was just a matter of copying files to the sever and not a ftp issue.

Could be wrong thought, it has been 16 years!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently working in a restricted network environment (DoD), and pziecina​ described what is still happening, today.  Workstation logs on to network via SmartCard (CAC), and from there the SFTP or direct network copy/paste of files works as if it were not a restricted network environment.

Now, if the FTP server itself requires SmartCard authentication in order to upload files, that's a horse of a different color.  As Preran mentioned, DW doesn't support SmartCard authentication.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We do use SmartCard authentication on our windows laptops to log into the windows enterprise network, however the webservers are Linux and require separate authentication.

We are currently using PuTTy CAC, was just hoping to keep the seamless connectivity to edit the site in Dreamweaver, then just “PUT” the edited pages.  Using PuTTY has added additional steps.  The great thing about Dreamweaver was being able to do it all within the one application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 26, 2018 Jul 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hear you, and completely agree.  DW _should_ have the ability to authenticate via SmartCard.  However, given Adobe's history, I very much doubt this will ever be implemented.  And, if I'm being completely honest, I'm not sure I would trust the security if they did put it into DW - DW's Live Preview and other methods of viewing changes (outside of Preview in Browser) are not fully browser compliant and prone to breaking the 'preview'.  So..

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 26, 2018 Jul 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

WolfShade  wrote

DW's Live Preview and other methods of viewing changes (outside of Preview in Browser) are not fully browser compliant and prone to breaking the 'preview'.  So..

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Dw's live preview connect to Adobe servers in order to work?

In fact a lot of Dw now connects to 'other' servers. The CC app, the node.js (included in all the CC progs), github, in-app updates (eg bootstrap, etc).

For a secure environment I think an enterprise subscription would be necessary, in order to stop most of the 'connect to Adobe' features, plus I don't think the OP would find much improvement in upgrading to a CC version of Dw, in fact I think it would be just the opposite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, according to this WikiPedia page, PuTTY-CAC will support SmartCard authentication.  There are others that do, too.  Scroll to "Features" to see the list.

I know PuTTY isn't ideal because it isn't GUI, it's CLI.  But, it will work and it isn't too difficult to learn.

HTH,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines