Highlighted

Dreamweaver crash tied to file path

Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was working on a htm/css project and then saved the work and closed the files in dreamweaver. Then I tried to rename the folder containing the project in Windows. It said the folder was in use and did not let me rename. I closed the files in Dreamweaver. I closed Dreamweaver and was then allowed to rename the folder but when I tried to open Dreamweaver it crashed. (ucrtbase.dll)

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

I switched the folder name back to what it was and dreamweaveropened fine.

I was able to duplicate this over and over by deleting and restoring this folder.

So Dreamweaver's ability to launch is directly tied to this file path that just contains only a web project.

(C:\MyFiles\School\IDT Year 1\MULT-124\LO4\grid-layout-files)

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Nancy OShea | Adobe Community Professional

It's never a good idea to rename a site file/folder with your OS.  Renaming at the OS level removes DW from file management.

Always, always use DW's Files Panel (F8).  Right click on folder and select Edit > Rename.  DW should ask if you want to update links and assets too.

Your Preferences contain an option to reopen documents on startup.  If that option is enabled and you renamed your files/folder with your OS, I would expect DW to crash.

Nancy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Dreamweaver crash tied to file path

Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was working on a htm/css project and then saved the work and closed the files in dreamweaver. Then I tried to rename the folder containing the project in Windows. It said the folder was in use and did not let me rename. I closed the files in Dreamweaver. I closed Dreamweaver and was then allowed to rename the folder but when I tried to open Dreamweaver it crashed. (ucrtbase.dll)

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

I switched the folder name back to what it was and dreamweaveropened fine.

I was able to duplicate this over and over by deleting and restoring this folder.

So Dreamweaver's ability to launch is directly tied to this file path that just contains only a web project.

(C:\MyFiles\School\IDT Year 1\MULT-124\LO4\grid-layout-files)

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Nancy OShea | Adobe Community Professional

It's never a good idea to rename a site file/folder with your OS.  Renaming at the OS level removes DW from file management.

Always, always use DW's Files Panel (F8).  Right click on folder and select Edit > Rename.  DW should ask if you want to update links and assets too.

Your Preferences contain an option to reopen documents on startup.  If that option is enabled and you renamed your files/folder with your OS, I would expect DW to crash.

Nancy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 08, 2017 0
LEGEND ,
Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of DW?  What it _should_ do is just alert you to the fact that the folder it is looking for doesn't exist, and let you continue, possibly opening the Site Manager to that site, for you.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 08, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cc 2018

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 08, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 08, 2017 1
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the fact that doing so it irreparably breaks Dreamweaver to the point where I need to create a new Windows user profile to run it is definitely a problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 08, 2017 0
LEGEND ,
Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Nancy pointed out, renaming at the OS level would do as you described.  But you shouldn't have to create a new user profile in order to get DW running, again.  I'm sure there's an XML file, or some config file, that you can edit to match the folder name as the OS sees it, and run DW.

But, yeah, if you really NEED to rename the folder, you should have done so within DW, so DW could reconfig itself for that change.  Renaming at the OS level then opening DW is akin to changing your password to an online account, logging off, then trying to use the original password to log back on.

HTH,

^ _ ^

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 08, 2017 1