• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dreamweaver CS 5.5 EOL?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been doing very little programming due to health issues but have always checked for updates. I always see NONE. Yet when I enter Help I read:

Not Found

The requested URL /en_US/dreamweaver/cs/using/AH_HOME.html was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I've seen no reference to CS 6 and I'm wondering what's going on. I have received no emails on an update/upgrade. I have owned and paid for Dreamweaver for too many years to remember.

Can someone tell me what's going on?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS 5.5 is very very old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not according to Adobe that still has a download page. I have the retail box with the activation codes. Very, very old but still available?

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/cs5-5-product-downloads.html#DownloadaCS55product

Web Premium: Download Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 products

Applies to: Creative Suite CS5.5

October 23, 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downloads for software installers (from CS2 to current versions) are available as a free download at any time.

However, serial numbers are no longer available for purchase. So, unless you already have a valid serial number, downloading and installing the software will only get you 30 days use of the trial version until it expires. Entering a valid serial number unlocks the software permanently on that computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have valid keys. Thank you. I will not pay a monthly fee for something I seldom use. After spending thousands over the years buying suites and updates this is an insult. Just a marketing method to squeeze monthly dollars from customers. Save the piracy angle. There's a laundry list of competitors stealing customers away. I'll join them.

/close

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

robert8026  wrote

I have valid keys. Thank you. I will not pay a monthly fee for something I seldom use. After spending thousands over the years buying suites and updates this is an insult. Just a marketing method to squeeze monthly dollars from customers. Save the piracy angle. There's a laundry list of competitors stealing customers away. I'll join them.

/close

I agree with you on principle, stay clear of over-priced subscription based models for as long as you possibly can or seek other  reward-based, free, or one-time paid for options, if they are available. The more you can do for yourself in terms of web-development the less dependent on any one bit of software you are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

robert8026  wrote

Save the piracy angle.

I wasn't offering a piracy angle. I was simply saying that Adobe no longer sells serial numbers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

robert8026  wrote

I have valid keys. Thank you. I will not pay a monthly fee for something I seldom use.

That's all fine & good providing you understand the ramifications of using  legacy software that will never ever receive another update.  Dreamweaver CS 3, 4, 5, 6 are the tech equivalents of fossils.  Here's a short list of reasons why.

1. When Apple stops supporting 32 bit apps next year, Creative Suite will not work on modern  Macs.  Don't make any plans to upgrade your OS because  Apple doesn't care about legacy software users.

2. When web  hosts upgrade servers to PHP 7+, Creative Suite does not understand it and continues to write deprecated code in PHP 4/5.

3. When web hosts upgrade to SFTP with advanced encryption ciphers, Creative Suite does not understand any of it.  Say goodbye to uploading files with DW.

4. When  Creative Suite encounters modern CSS3 & EC6 JavaScript, it can't understand any of it and will keep writing code in CSS1 or 2 and EC3.

5. While the rest of the web is  using modern responsive layouts made of Flexbox, CSS Grids and sizes expressed in rems and viewport units,  Creative Suite can't understand any of it.  Say goodbye to WYSIWYG in Design View.

All I'm saying is to build modern web apps requires access to modern tools.  Creative Cloud rolls out major upgrades and dot updates about  2-4 times per year for as long as you remain a member.   In other words, you don't pay for upgrades.   It's all included with your subscription along with a lot of other perks.   But don't take my word for it.  Try Creative Cloud free for 7 days without obligation.  If you like it, great.  If you don't, that's OK too.   At  least you'll be an informed shopper when searching for your next code editor.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a user of Dreamweaver, Nancy OShea​ has brought more contributions to this forum than anyone.

I have therefore reported your last post to be held from public view until you have changed the content to remove the personal abuse towards her.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just in case this hasn't be clarified enough already, this is a user-to-user forum, and the experts here try to provide the best possible solutions in each case. I did not see any coercion, either suggested or implied, in the previous suggestions. Using a trial version and deciding whether to purchase a subscription is advise we give to other users on this forum as well considering that there isn't a way to purchase a perpetual version for products available through the Creative Cloud.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last update to CS 5.5 was back in 2012.

Adobe - Dreamweaver Support Center : Updaters

Since then we've had CS6 and all the Cloud releases.

What are you looking for exactly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply and that of Nancy below yours.

I purchased CS 5.5 in 2015 directly from Adobe and have not been building sites. Just minor updates. I never got an announcement of CS6. But if it is all subscription based I'm gone. That is a heck of a way to treat a customer dating back to about 1997. I realize Adobe didn't own it then but still.

Is CS6 available as a purchase without a subscription? I will not develop anything in the insecure cloud. As a hosting provider I speak from experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dreamweaver is only available using a Cloud subscription. This is the only part that is cloud based. Once the program has been installed, the only interaction with Adobe is once or twice a month to ensure that you have a valid subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No its not. I just downloaded CS5.5 Web Premium to prove the point. I don't like con jobs. I realize that piracy is a problem. So you use a phone home feature and issue a new key each period to the original registrant only. But don't feed me this line that you went to a subscription model to cure that problem. You went to a subscription model because month after month a customers pays instead of once when they buy. We lease dedicated servers to fortune 500 companies and understand what a lease is. It is no different than a subscription. If the customer doesn't pay we shut them off. Otherwise they pay perpetually. Forbes said it best:

"When companies like CISCO or Microsoft used to sell package software and hardware, they would experience variations in revenue from quarter to quarter. It was difficult to know exactly when a customer would decide to upgrade to the newest product. In good years, their customers might invest in the newest product offerings. But in a down economy, they may wait to buy, which could send revenues plunging.

However, with a subscription-based service, companies can reliably bring in the same fee each month the customer is using the service. This can make the process of raising money easier as you simply show the monthly recurring revenue or number of paid users. Even Wall Street likes the subscription model since it allows them to predict revenues and earnings more accurately over time. And the CFO has to keep these things in mind while managing investor expectations."

Don't try to snow a business owner that knows the game. It would have been nice to have received an upgrade offer for CS6. You've alienated a very long time customer of 22 years. It's just an insult when you try to justify changing your payment model.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are user to user forums. Most people here are Adobe users just like you.

Adobe employees have a badge under their avatar/picture with the word "Staff".

Anyone else is an Adobe customer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I know, owners of previous versions of software were given the choice to upgrade to Creative Cloud. There were, if I remember right, discounts for people that were on the immediate previous versions of the software, but I am not sure if those offers are still valid. I would suggest getting in touch with us using this link Contact Customer Care​ to verify.

Do let us know if you need more info.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is CS6 available as a purchase without a subscription?

No, CS6 is no longer available for purchase. Adobe stopped selling it a couple of years ago given the success of the Cloud plans.

I will not develop anything in the insecure cloud. As a hosting provider I speak from experience.

That's not how Adobe's Cloud plans work.

In relation to Dreamweaver and other desktop apps, the only Cloud part is the licensing and financial checks which occur roughly every month or so. The check is automatic and transparent to the user and takes a few seconds.

The software itself is downloaded and installed on your local computer as usual. All development work is done by you locally and can be hosted anywhere you like. No need to use Adobe's Cloud for any of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the interest of thwarting piracy and stopping the glut of fake software that was floating around for years, Adobe discontinued Creative Suite and replaced it with the highly successful Creative Cloud subscription model.  These days, iIf you want the latest Dreamweaver, you'll need to buy a monthly or yearly subscription.

Creative Cloud pricing and membership plans | Adobe Creative Cloud

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines