Highlighted

Dreamweaver CS5.5 Crashes upon Opening

Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No matter which way I attempt to open Dreamweaver CS5.5 (v 11.5, it starts the "Initializing" process, opens for a split second and then closes down quickly.  I don't know the fix for this and desperately need it to work again. 
Working in Windows 10 Pro.
PLEASE HELP!?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by B i r n o u | Adobe Community Professional

when you reinstall did you clean uninstall ?... it is not exclusive to creative cloud, but also to previous version of DW...

Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

read the article

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Dreamweaver CS5.5 Crashes upon Opening

Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No matter which way I attempt to open Dreamweaver CS5.5 (v 11.5, it starts the "Initializing" process, opens for a split second and then closes down quickly.  I don't know the fix for this and desperately need it to work again. 
Working in Windows 10 Pro.
PLEASE HELP!?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by B i r n o u | Adobe Community Professional

when you reinstall did you clean uninstall ?... it is not exclusive to creative cloud, but also to previous version of DW...

read the article

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 30, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If launching it doesn't work.. did youtry launching as administrator (right click and choose in the drop down menu)

if that doesn't work... try cleaning the preferences

Clearing preferences

manually or by holding Win+Ctrl+Shift or Cmd+Opt+Shift while launching DW

or restore it

Restoring Preférences

https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/kb/restore-preferences-dreamweaver.html

if that still doesn't work... perhaps unistalling it... cleaning the unisntallation, using the cloud cleaner, and resinstall DW

Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 30, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks B i n o u, but your suggestions are for Creative Cloud.  I am on CS5.5 Dreamweaver v11.5.
However, I have already uninstalled Dreamweaver and re-installed.  No luck.
And I have already tried to launch as administrator and that didn't work either.

I still can't get it to open (after the loading/initializing screen)... it simply crashes/closes after that.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 30, 2017 0
Dec 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

read the article

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 30, 2017 1
Dec 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any way launch the http://download.macromedia.com/SupportTools/Cleaner/win/AdobeCreativeCloudCleanerTool.exe  and you'll see if cs5.5 is present on the list (it's done on command line)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 30, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great... followed the instructions on the B i r n o u advice - Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems - completely wiped my entire CS5.5 and now I have to reinstall ... lord help me find my serial number!  --- (updated) I found it!

btw, strange that it removed Illustrator and InDesign, but didn't touch Photoshop...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 30, 2017 0
Dec 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

strange that it also remove Illustrator and InDesign... in the panel of software listed by the tool, didn't you check only the Dreamweaver allocation ?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 30, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes B i r n o u, I followed the instructions you provided, uninstalled ONLY Dreamweaver, but when it came to (Step 8) the command prompt for "Press the number that corresponds to the app name and then press Enter," it only provided CS or CC options, not app specific.  Nonetheless, I ran the process and then rebooted.  I checked to see if other apps would run (out of curiosity) and found out that Illustrator and InDesign would not run, as well as Dreamweaver.  I continued with the steps to re-install all CS5.5 and all appear to be working now.  But NOTE: When I first started up Dreamweaver, it tried to cache and then shut down again... I then tried to re-open again, STOPPED the cache-ing from continuing, and Dreamweaver opened up.  I shut down Dreamweaver again and re-opened (this is the 3rd time at this point) and it opened up without cache-ing and felt that the problem has been resolved for now.  Thanks for all your help. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 30, 2017 0
Dec 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cool to hear that it helped... but unfirtunnaly CS should have some common files that was removed and block Ai and Id...

was you able to re-install them and makes them work again ?

by the way, just in case, on the upper corner of the DW file panel, you have a drop down menu that allows you to rebuild the caching for the current web site.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 31, 2017 0
Dec 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Faulting application name: CompatTelRunner.exe

Faulting module path: wuapi.dll

DO NOT REMOVE.  These are system files used to update Windows.

Are you having any other PC problems?

Have you run a virus scan lately?

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 31, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Virus scan done (yesterday and today).  No problems, other than some cookies cleared/removed automatically by the scan.  And no other PC Problems.  And my Adobe programs are still opening up without any problems.  Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 31, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I reinstalled and all Adobe programs are working now.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 31, 2017 1
Dec 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you Restore Preference? That usually fixes most problems.

Restore preferences in Dreamweaver CS4, CS5, and CS5.5

A look at your Windows Event Viewer should tell you which module is causing DW to crash.

It could be a problem with your graphics driver .dll or something else.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 30, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy OShea, per your instructions on Window Event Viewer, I found this:

Faulting application name: CompatTelRunner.exe, version: 10.0.16299.15, time stamp: 0x74099bb1

Faulting module name: wuapi.dll_unloaded, version: 10.0.16299.98, time stamp: 0x55bdd18d

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000000000001712f

Faulting process id: 0x2810

Faulting application start time: 0x01d375831fafa56b

Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\CompatTelRunner.exe

Faulting module path: wuapi.dll

Report Id: e0978f41-3dfa-42fe-9613-9fcdf98f6723

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Would it be correct to assume that a Windows Update caused this and the wuapi.dll needs to be removed?

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 30, 2017 0