Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dreamweaver CS6 Slow

New Here ,
Jan 29, 2019 Jan 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am experiencing DW CS6 acting extremely slow. I don't know if this is a cache or settings issue but

• it takes 4-5 seconds to toggle between pages (for example going from one page to another: 2019-01-29_0831  )
  • It takes up to 5 seconds to open a page.
  • Selecting big chunks of code causes lag and skipping.

I've deleted the WinFileCachexxxxx.dat file

I've emptied the site cache folders

I've restarted my computer many times

I've ran the defrag and optimization tools

and I've googled a few other solutions without any luck

I have Windows 10 Pro with a 3.3GHz processor and 32GB of RAM and I'm sure it's not a system issue.

I would love help with this. I know 4-5 seconds is not a lot but I toggle between pages non-stop and this really slows down productivity.

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lag as you describe can be caused by certain coding methods in DW. Does the lag happen on every page, even new blank documents?

If certain pages are fine, and others are lagging, it could be caused by a few different things...

Check for the use of Protocol Relative links. Look in the <head> section of your pages for links that start with //. Change them to either http or https versions (depending on what your site uses) and see if that helps.

Another item that can cause lag is the use of @import rules in your css. If you have some, try linking to those files with a <link> tag instead.

If neither of the above are happening in your site, you may want to try restoring preferences: Restore preferences in Dreamweaver CS4, CS5, and CS5.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Jon!

So I opened a file from my project and created 2 new blank HTML files straight from file > HTML

You're right that toggling between the 2 new html pages didn't cause the lag but toggling between the file from my project and back to the blank html did cause a lag.

I don't have any @import rules in my CSS and throughout the entire folder only have a few as follows: 2019-01-29_0959

As for the links, I do have relative links but none that start with // most of the linked elements are something like href="css... or if it's an actual link it would be something like ahref="pages/page.html" or src="img/image.jpg

Deleting the registry key also didn't help... I'll try to restart the computer in case that's needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also make sure your code is error free by running the validator at http://validator.w3.org/nu

DW can act odd if it runs into code errors it doesn't know how to resolve. The validator will give you a listing of any errors in your html. Cleaning them up may bring DW back in line for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2019 Mar 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just thought I would add my two cents, at least about the "selecting big chunks of" part.  I've got all these same speed/skip/lag issues but I'm on a Mac. I've found an enormous improvement when using the application with Window > Application Frame de-selected. I'm not used to working frameless but it's far less frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines