• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dreamweaver fails to upload on save about 50% of the time.

Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe it has something to do with the speed it saves it. It seems to be still saving it while the upload starts, thereby getting a failed message. 

Then I have to make another change to the file and try it again, and it normally goes up the 2nd time.

As I make a lot of changes and want to see the results having it fail 50% of the time is very annoying.

Any suggestions? I have tested other options and they do not fail, but I prefer to use Dreamweaver.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

So I think I found the problem as it is now working well after testing. 

The issue was I use Dropbox, so as soon as I save a file both Dropbox and Dreamweaver are trying to sync it. Sometimes this works, and sometimes it does not. When I stopped the syncing with Dropbox it works 100% of the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never use automatic upload on save to a remote server.  IMO, that's an accident waiting to happen.

I use keyboard shortcuts:

Ctrl/Cmd + S to save,

Switch to browser preview and hit F5 to refresh browser.  If everything is correct,

Ctrl/Cmd + Shift + U to PUT current document on remote server. 

Give it a try.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nancy, but I am using PHP and MySQL and I can't test it locally.

I would also like a one-step upload vs. having to hit Ctrl-S and then Ctrl-Shift+U.

The concept of automatic upload on save is a good one because all the time when I save a change I want to see it and test it on the server, unfortunately, it just fails way too much.

If there was a way to edit on the server directly and download the file once I am done that could work too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To preview locally, you need a local testing server that mirrors your remote server.  I also have a backend CMS for adding new content to the MySQL database.

My local site folder resides inside my testing server's default web directory.  See screenshot.

Local Site in Local Testing ServerLocal Site in Local Testing Server

With this PHP work environment, saved files are automatically updated on the localhost.  No PUSHING required.

When I'm ready to go live, I expand my files panel then drag & drop local files to remote server.  This method hasn't failed me so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again Nancy, but that is too complicated for me if I am understanding it correctly.

It would mean now I have to set up a local server, load PHP and MySQL on it, start updating every 30 minutes two MySQL databases as I update the one on the remote server every 30 minutes. Then I have to start worrying about server upgrades, PHP upgrades, MySQL upgrades, etc. Essentially, everything I pay my service provider for I need to now do myself. I am a one-person shop so taking the time to keep up with all that simply because the automatic upload is not working 100% of the time would be too much work.

My testing server is the same as my regular server, I just use a different file name for testing, and then once it is working I change the file name to go live.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Auto Upload on Save should work every time if you are:

1) connected to your server,

2) the server date & time is set correctly,

3) you have proper permission to overwrite existing server files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 05, 2020 Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It definitely is a problem where it is still saving it and trying to upload at the same time. They should make it smarter than that so it can try again instead of just failing.

I created a work around using Ctrl-A and AutoHotkey. When I hit Ctrl-A it now saves it using Cntl-S. Then it pauses 3 seconds to allow it to complete the saving. After that it issues the short cut for pushing the file to the server, and now it does not fail 50% of the time.

Dreamweaver has been around long enough where such an important task such as saving your work to the server to test it should not require a script to get it working. It would be nice if they fix this behavior because not everyone uses AutoHotkey so they will be stuck with 50% failures when uploading on a save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's repeatable, please file a Bug report from your Help menu.

Upload on save is nothing I will ever use or test because it's not condusive to my workflow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I let them know. Not only is it repeatable but I found others with the same issue and the same thing solved their issue, so it is not just on my PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So I think I found the problem as it is now working well after testing. 

The issue was I use Dropbox, so as soon as I save a file both Dropbox and Dreamweaver are trying to sync it. Sometimes this works, and sometimes it does not. When I stopped the syncing with Dropbox it works 100% of the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines