Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dreamweaver freezes every time when opening about 100 html files at once

Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I used so far DW CS 6 & 5.5. and now subscribed to the Cloud model, expecting DW CC is better and faster than the Suites. Surprisingly, when I try to open 106 html files of a project (and its related css and js files), DW CC 18.2 ALWAYS freezes – no matter if I open the files in Code View or Design View. This task can be easily managed by DW CS 6 & 5.5. (CS 6 quicker than CS 5.5.; in Code View quicker than in Design View) but DW CC fails totally.

Any idea why this is the case and how this could be fixed? (I use a MBP 2017, one of the latest models and the current OS Sierra).

PS: I use a lot of ProjectSeven (PVII) DW extensions but this shouldn’t be a reason I guess.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Use the Find & Replace tool (Ctrl + Shift + F) to do site wide removals, replacements and additions.

That will run in the background and requires far fewer resources, plus it's a whole lot faster than doing 100 copy/pastes.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm curious as to why you are trying to open 106 files at the same time.

Have you tried breaking it down into two or three groups of files?

Believe me, I'm no fan of DW CC.  CS5.5 and CS6 are my choice and used in our dev environment.  But I've never had a need to open >100 files at once.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a static website project and I want to insert in all 106 pages via copy and paste a code for the footer which includes a link to the data protection page according to the new European laws.

Of course I could try to break it down in groups of 35 flies or so but so far this was the mode if I wanted to change items which are present in all html files of a project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the Find & Replace tool (Ctrl + Shift + F) to do site wide removals, replacements and additions.

That will run in the background and requires far fewer resources, plus it's a whole lot faster than doing 100 copy/pastes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jon, I'll try that and will leave a note if it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this workaround which is also a by far more elegant solution to the existing problem. I just tried it and it works quick and excellently!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be late for this, but the best practice is to use includes for header/footer, that way you only have to change one file.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha ha, yes Wolf, this is the thing, I didn’t use includes because I've never planned to run a site with more than 106 articles. It grew over time, therefore also the complex menu system is not made via includes nor header, footer or social media section.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you considered starting over with a database solution, like ColdFusion or Lucee?  Fewer pages, everything stored in a database, interactive.  If you have the time, it would end up being a lot easier, less troublesome.

Just my two cents. 

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any site over 50 pages should be dynamically driven with server-side code and database content.  And entire web site  needs only  4 pages -- Home, Contact, Summary and Detail.  The server generates pages on the fly from content stored in the database.  

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am not working as a professional but as a hobbyist. Due to time restrictions and other tasks, I decided not to get into the more complicated matters like database but to run or to create professional looking static websites (mere html, css, js). Many of them are single sites with 4 or five sections. But two of them exploded over the years with academic articles. The best workaround or solution for the time being is that given by Jon Fritz II, however, thank you and all the others for you input. You never know when it becomes very relevant for you. So, I'll keep your advice in mind, for the time being I am happy with this solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines