Highlighted

Dreamweaver FTP not updating modified files

Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so now Dreamweaver is "Helping" me out by not updating modified files when I upload them. It doesn't think they are changed even though they are . Fortunately, I have a backup FTP that doesn't seem to suffer from this form of dementia, but it makes things more awkward. 

Is there some way to force Dreamweaver to upload a files even if it thinks those files have been modified on the server. Because it's WRONG. It's not a descrepency with the time on the server and that on my machine, this is with files that are months old and I did check the date to be sure.

TOPICS
Other, Product issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Dreamweaver FTP not updating modified files

Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so now Dreamweaver is "Helping" me out by not updating modified files when I upload them. It doesn't think they are changed even though they are . Fortunately, I have a backup FTP that doesn't seem to suffer from this form of dementia, but it makes things more awkward. 

Is there some way to force Dreamweaver to upload a files even if it thinks those files have been modified on the server. Because it's WRONG. It's not a descrepency with the time on the server and that on my machine, this is with files that are months old and I did check the date to be sure.

TOPICS
Other, Product issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 06, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does your FTP Log in DW say is going on?

A lot of times, permissions get fouled up on servers and you'll get messages like "Same - Not transferred" in DW which generally means you lack the ability to overwrite existing files. Deleting the file from the server before uploading the new one will get you past that issue until your hosting company can fix it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I mentioned I have a backup FTP client. It doesn't suffer from the same problem. So, no I don't think that's it.

Also, there also other files on other hosts that also have problems with Dreamweaver but not my backup FTP. For example on this other server I'll upload a group of files and it won't upload about a half dozen. If I retry it gets a few of the files it missed the first time but generally not all. I've had to try 6-7 times on some files before it succeeds. Once again, this doesn't happen with my backup ftp client. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It says the file is the same - not tranferred.

This was currently the issue I'm trying to get resolved.

Since it doesn't this regularly, I'm trying to find out if there is a way to override it's interpertiation of what is new and what is not, because it's wrong pretty regularly, and this is on a couple hosts.

Another problem I have is where I upload a lot of graphics, in this case it often takes 2-7 tries, it just fails over an over. I would say this might not be Adobe's fault, but I still suspect it is at least in part since using my backup client has never produced the same problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2020 0
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Expand your files panel.  Connect to remote server.   See screenshot.

Expanded Files PanelExpanded Files Panel

Click & drag a file from local to remote. 

Confirm the date and time stamps are the same. 

If that doesn't work, delete the remote file first and repeat. 

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, deleting files sometimes helps. Other times it doesn't. 

That being said my FREEWARE backup FTP client works fine. I just kinda think Dreamweaver, which I pay for YEAR after YEAR should work as well.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2020 0
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dreamweaver works fine for me with most servers.  But It's web authoring software, not a dedicated S/FTP client.   For server housekeeping, I prefer Filezilla. 

Nancy O'Shea, ACP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should work as an FTP client. I pay for it YEAR after YEAR. It should work better than a freeware option.

I also have problem with it hanging a lot. I have to force quit out it as much or more often than it will shut down normally. Occassionally, it will just not allow anything to be selected. It has so many constant and random quirks. Adobe use to be reliable. Now, tracking down what is wrong is often just not worth the time. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 14, 2020 0
Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have constant and random quirks.  DW is very stable even on my aging Win10 workstation.

• My local site files reside on my primary HD.
  • Sleep mode is disabled.
  • All non-essential background processes are turned off like real-time anti-virus scans and backups.
  •  
Nancy O'Shea, ACP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 14, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• My local files are on my primary hard-drive.
  • Sleep mode is disabled.
  • I run anti-virus scans between my work sessions.
  • I don't have any automated backups. I run them all manually.
  • I have nothing set to sync automatically with Adobe.
  • I run regular updates on my system.
  • I stopped doing regular updates with Adobe because too many updates have been buggy, so now I wait and only do updates to Adobe products between projects.

It's great that it works so well for you, but I've seen enough posts to know that my issues with Adobe are not that unusual. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 14, 2020 0
Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I urge you to contact Adobe technical support via online chat.

https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Sign-in with a browser that accepts cookies and does not have script blockers.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 14, 2020 0