Highlighted

Dreamweaver latest version keeps crashing

Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to change properties of an image through the Properties panel, Dreamweaver 2020 (up-to-date) crashes randomly -- too often for comfort, it's annoying and absolute breaks my workflow. And when reopened, it lists only the file that experienced the crash for recovery, from all the files that were open, not reopening all. And using the wrong view, it doesn't save that, either. I use Catalina on a MacBook Pro. The crash report opens every time and tells me there's no solution for the problem. For how long, Adobe? What about fixing select + option + drag copy, matching selected items from design view in code view and other issues? These are real problems delaying our work.

TOPICS
Error, Interface, Performance, Product issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Dreamweaver latest version keeps crashing

Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to change properties of an image through the Properties panel, Dreamweaver 2020 (up-to-date) crashes randomly -- too often for comfort, it's annoying and absolute breaks my workflow. And when reopened, it lists only the file that experienced the crash for recovery, from all the files that were open, not reopening all. And using the wrong view, it doesn't save that, either. I use Catalina on a MacBook Pro. The crash report opens every time and tells me there's no solution for the problem. For how long, Adobe? What about fixing select + option + drag copy, matching selected items from design view in code view and other issues? These are real problems delaying our work.

TOPICS
Error, Interface, Performance, Product issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 13, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your code and fix reported validation errors.

Window > Results > Validation.

If your code is clean and DW continues to crash, try Restore Preferences.

https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/kb/restore-preferences-dreamweaver.html

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 13, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clean code. I doubt any of the previous crashes involved files with validation issues.

This is a new laptop, I installed DW less than 3 months ago when it arrived, already with Catalina, so a clean install. And I believe the only changes I made to Preferences were related to the interface colors. If DW is crashing because of that, then how can I trust any changes won't create problems? Why would a simple change like that cause corruption? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 13, 2020 0
Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a long time product user and forum volunteer, not an Adobe product engineer. 

Why do files become corrupted?  Sometimes  s h * t  happens.  If Restore Preferences doesn't fix the problem, reach out to technical support via online chat. 

Or revert to the previous version of DW from your CC Desktop App.  Post back if you need help finding older versions.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 13, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your help. But I don't think that explains the problems in DW. There are no previous versions on this computer that didn't crash, it's a brand new laptop and DW has been crashing since first installed. I think it's just poor development. The laptop I had before this, with DW 2020 and not yet using Catalina, had frequent crashes as well. The fact that it's taking so long to fix problems reported all over, including the ones reported in previous forum entries and mentioned further above, just reinforces that. Yesterday it crashed three times, today it has just crashed again. And it's not just DW, resources were removed from Photoshop for no reason (https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/new-document-transparent-background-by-default/td-p/8707211... https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/photoshop-cc-how-to-always-open-images-from-the-clipboard-w... https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/new-document-profile-change-the-clipboard-preset-to-inches-...), so it's frustrating when Adobe seems to ignore how its software is used professionally, fails to repair what's broken or to bring back what was removed by mistake, besides users complaining, pointing problems and asking consistenly. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2020 0
Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, I'm running Creative Cloud on a Win10 workstation without crashes. And Dreamweaver 20.1 is stable on my machine. 

As for Photoshop, there's another forum for that below. 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/bd-p/photoshop

I repeat, if Restore Preferences doesn't fix the DW problem, reach out to technical support via online chat. 

Good luck!

Nancy O'Shea, ACP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought restoring Preferences had fixed it, but it just happened again. And I have just updated DW to the latest version, 21.0, build 15392. After the crash, DW is still not reopening all that was open, I wish it should do that and ask to restore the ones that were pending a save and keep the view settings (I have to change three settings back every time it crashes).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 29, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We apologize for the issue you are facing. Dw does support Auto-recovery of files in case the app crashes. Please visit the below KB article detailed info on auto-recovery of files.

KB article: https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/user-guide.html/dreamweaver/using/files-folders.ug.html#auto-rec...

For the crash issue, we are unable to recreate the crash with multiple files opening internally. Hence can you please help us with providing reproducible steps for the crash if you encountering the issue consistently on your machine. Also, please let us know if you can join us for a remote connect session to further debug the issue and try resolving the issue.

Thanks,

Nayan

Dreamweaver Team

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2020 0