Highlighted

Dreamweaver LESS files

Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

i would like to use LESS files to improve my CSS coding.

I did in fact edit half of the main.less file to make the theme fit my needs.

My problem is now, how do i work with LESS files when i want to upload it into my FTP?

Will it compile itself from "name.less" to "name.css" when i upload it thru Dreamweaver on my FTP?
Do i need to first compile it and then upload the file or is this happening automatic?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by BenPleysier | Adobe Community Professional

My problem is now, how do i work with LESS files when i want to upload it into my FTP?

You do not have to upload the LESS files because the browser cannot translate it.

Will it compile itself from "name.less" to "name.css" when i upload it thru Dreamweaver on my FTP?

If set properly, Dreamweaver will automatically compile the CSS file when saving the LESS file.

Do i need to first compile it and then upload the file or is this happening automatic?

As said above, compiling happens after saving the LESS file, the CSS file can then be uploaded to the remote server.

Please note: Sass and LESS are both very powerful CSS extensions. You can think of them as more of a programming language designed to make CSS more maintainable, themeable, and extendable. Both Sass and LESS are backward compatible so you can easily convert your existing CSS files just by renaming the .css file extension to .less or .scss, respectively. LESS is JavaScript based and Sass is Ruby based. You need to have a good understanding of CSS before embarking on Sass or LESS.

TOPICS
Learn Dreamweaver

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Dreamweaver LESS files

Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

i would like to use LESS files to improve my CSS coding.

I did in fact edit half of the main.less file to make the theme fit my needs.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by BenPleysier | Adobe Community Professional

You do not have to upload the LESS files because the browser cannot translate it.

If set properly, Dreamweaver will automatically compile the CSS file when saving the LESS file.

As said above, compiling happens after saving the LESS file, the CSS file can then be uploaded to the remote server.

Please note: Sass and LESS are both very powerful CSS extensions. You can think of them as more of a programming language designed to make CSS more maintainable, themeable, and extendable. Both Sass and LESS are backward compatible so you can easily convert your existing CSS files just by renaming the .css file extension to .less or .scss, respectively. LESS is JavaScript based and Sass is Ruby based. You need to have a good understanding of CSS before embarking on Sass or LESS.

TOPICS
Learn Dreamweaver

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 14, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LESS won't improve your CSS coding. It can make some of the more repetitive parts a little easier, but if you don't/can't write CSS, using LESS won't change that.

In DW, the program creates a .css file from your .less when you save it. You then need to upload that .css file to your server. The .less file will only be used locally typically and never sees the server.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 14, 2018 0
Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Improving and teaching are two different things.

Improvement means to do something faster, if you have less to write you type faster. If it makes easier to find elements and manage them, is also a improvement. I do know full HTM5 and CSS3, i even have a dynamic font size using css calculation based on view width. No worries, i use DW because it has all i need, no more need for 2 programs like notepad++ or Atom and Filezilla.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 15, 2018 2
LEGEND ,
Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Less and sass do not improve your css writing. Infact its a lazy approach riddled with a very major fault.

You write in less or sass and you upload your css file to your server. Your client gets someone else to do a few changes behind your back before coming back to you for further updates.........youre now totally f**c*d if another developer has changed your uploaded css file. SASS AND LESS ARE ONE OF THE DUMBEST WORKFLOWS EVER CONCEIVED BUT IF IT SUITS, THE DUMBEST OF IDIOTS WILL USE IT UNTIL.........

Most web developers are stupid and dumb and in denial that such a thing might happen, because they do not wish to know or have any concept of forward thinking.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 14, 2018 0
Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you're working alone on writing your own Web Projects and only you have access to those files.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 15, 2018 0
LEGEND ,
Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DamianToczek  wrote

Unless you're working alone on writing your own Web Projects and only you have access to those files.

So you dont give your clients the ftp details or control panel details for the website/domain they own? If you work alone and suddenly get run over by a bus and are hospitalised for a month, where does that leave your client if you cant update their website for a period of time. As I said many developers are short-sighted and not very forward thinking.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 16, 2018 0
Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you pziecina  further discussions have been branched to Feedback concerning Sass series

Ben

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 20, 2018 1
Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ben

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 14, 2018 2
LEGEND ,
Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BenPleysier  wrote

. You can think of them as more of a programming language designed to make CSS more maintainable, themeable, and extendable.

But only until another developer comes along and alters your css file. Its a shortsighted way of working. You can accept that you will then have no option but to work with the css file or refuse any futher involvemnet in the job if you wish to maintain a less/sass workflow.

In fact you might not even know that another developer has even been involved, clients arent renowed for telling anything straight. If you dont work with a css file once its been uploaded you risk over-writing any changes that have been made without your knowledege if you then persist in working on your original less/sass file.

This has to be the most dumbest workflow ever for all but those with their head firmly stuck up their own posterior.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 15, 2018 0