Highlighted

Dreamweaver - responsive navbar, forms and slideshows

Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've started to handcode small, simple websites using HTML and CSS. But I'm coming up against the same problems: making responsive navbars / dropdowns, simple contact forms, slideshows and show/hide content. I don't know anything about JavaScript and this is probably beyond my understanding (I'm a graphic designer).

I've looked into Bootstrap but it to me it appears very bloated, overly complicated and I don't like the idea of using a framework. I like the idea of writing my own code and knowing what it is doing.

I'm looking for a tool / app that will help me make these features that I need help with.

Would Dreamweaver help?

Does Dreamweaver come with pre-built "blocks" or elements that I can simply add to my site and tweak? i.e. does it come with JS to do the heavy lifting for me? (For these elements I'll have to accept that I probably can't handcode them and will have to rely on pre-built elements)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Dreamweaver - responsive navbar, forms and slideshows

Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've started to handcode small, simple websites using HTML and CSS. But I'm coming up against the same problems: making responsive navbars / dropdowns, simple contact forms, slideshows and show/hide content. I don't know anything about JavaScript and this is probably beyond my understanding (I'm a graphic designer).

I've looked into Bootstrap but it to me it appears very bloated, overly complicated and I don't like the idea of using a framework. I like the idea of writing my own code and knowing what it is doing.

I'm looking for a tool / app that will help me make these features that I need help with.

Would Dreamweaver help?

Does Dreamweaver come with pre-built "blocks" or elements that I can simply add to my site and tweak? i.e. does it come with JS to do the heavy lifting for me? (For these elements I'll have to accept that I probably can't handcode them and will have to rely on pre-built elements)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 27, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Oct 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are several companies that produce paid for extensions which work with DW, specifically covering navigation and sliders. I don't know if that's an option you have considered. There is also a wealth of solutons if you Google for Codpen, a place where other developers share their work, lots of pre-bulit slideshows and navigation solutions, which you can just copy and paste into your own code and tweak it a bit.

People either love of hate frameworks, I personally hate them as they restrict your ability to move forward, you think less, that's the very reason you use them, so to break out requires a lot of discipline. There is absolutely nothing like coding our own solutions as this has the benefits of expanding you're knowledge BUT its a long and winding road and that also requires a lot of discipline to maintain.

Depending on youre long term goals - I would encourage you to keep learning if youre in it for the long-run, if not then it probably isnt worth the effort, just go for the cheap route and options.

There are other alternatives like Webflow and Wix which have prebuilt navigation and slideshows. Wappler is another one but it does by default use Bootstrap, although you dont have to use Bootstrap and it does have a lot of pre-built component like slideshows etc however be warned it produces niche coding which may well hinder your chances to get a job in the industry, if ever you require to do so.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

I've looked into Webflow (and Wix) but hate that you can't see or write code.

I think I'm looking for something that doesn't exist: a code editor (like Brackets, BBEdit etc) but that comes with prebuilt elements for more complicated stuff (like Webflow etc) so that I don't have to learn JavaScript as well as HTML and CSS.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Oct 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to look at Wappler then. It has a code view/plenty of prebuilt options, slideshows, modals, charts etc database connectivity, all mostly by clicking through a UI - there is a massive learning curve BUT think carefully about what you are selling yourself into, it could limit you in the future.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow okay thanks for the heads up. I've never heard of Wappler...

I've just spent a minute looking at their promo website. Looks very much like Webflow, but with a code view. As you say I'll have to think carefully about this.

Many thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Oct 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'I've never heard of Wappler...'

That's what most employers will say if you ever intend to apply for a website developers position in the future. Hence why I think each individual, thinking of using such a workflow, needs to look at where they see themselves in a few years.

There's no harm in exploring the possibilities, might be just what you're looking for.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a self employed graphic designer, mainly doing print work, but increasingly designing and building websites. I don't really see myself as a web designer / front-end / developer, so Wapple could be great for me.

However it's pricey. Do they lock users into their eco-system / hosting? Or if a project takes me a month can I simply use their app for a month - and then I can take the code and host it anywhere I want?

Are the files it generates HTML and CSS or do they lock users into proprietary files? It's not hugely clear from their website.

I'm nervous that there will be a steep learning curve to learn Wapple, when I could be spending that time improving my HTML, CSS and JS coding.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wappler is stand alone software purchased yearly or monthly.  Unlike Wix / Webflow, there are no strings attached.  You host sites wherever you want.  You work with native HTML, CSS and JS files.   If you want to build server-side apps in a visual environment, Wappler is a good choice.

That said, I use Bootstrap in DW because it's fast, flexible and I control the code.   I started out coding manually years ago.  But I later discovered that frameworks are a huge time saver and never looked back.  More importantly, Bootstrap is used worldwide by millions of sites.  Any decent developer who knows Bootstrap can jump in and rescue a project if needed.  Handing off a bespoke site tends to be more problematic.  So if you care about your clients, frameworks can be a good thing for all concerned.  

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Oct 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wappler does NOT lock you into their workflow (sort off). They offer no hosting, you are free to build your wesbite and then choose your own hosting. You can subscribe for a month, then if you don't need the progamme any more you don't pay anything else, the website still functions as normal and you are free to do as you require with it, no attachements.

HOWEVER it makes things difficult if you do want to update the website on account of if you want to take advantage of many of its options like the javascript front-end framework or php database connectivity, a major part of Wapplers selling point, which you will, otherwise there's little point in considering it as an option. Without access to Wappler it will be difficult to alter or update/manage your website because it produces niche coding. Many forum users will tell you its just standard coding (just shows them to be not very knowledgable in this area) hence why they use Wappler. No shame there but at least if you give advice consider the advantages and dis-adavantage, not just the advantages.

Unfortunately there is a huge learning curve when deciding what you want to learn thats why you must consider your options carefully. You dont want to waste a year learning something that boxes you into a corner and you become solely dependent upon.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Oct 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's funny, a bloated workflow such as Bootstrap being associated with 'caring about your clients' - I'd say the opposite, its actually caring more about yourself NOT your client. Lets at least be honest, its cheap and nasty.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I'll take some time to think. Thanks again

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2019 0
Oct 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi markeeeee

Dreamweaver is not a full-blown WYSIWYG by any means - you need at least some basic HTML/CSS skills as a minimum IMO.  For Bootstrap components it will offer some help otherwise you'll need to purchase some 3rd party extensions for help with layouts, components and navigation features, I believe P7 are the best option for these.

Dreamweaver CC 2015 is the last version that included the original/native code editor, CC 2017 introduced a integrated Bracket code editor, a dumbed-down version of Brackets, its taken two-years or more to fix a lot of issues that caused, I'd say CC 2019 is the most stable Dreamweaver for a few years (personally I still prefer CC 2015).

Yes, Bootstrap is bloated, but a lot of people find it an easy way to learn and a lot of the popular WYSIWYG tools out there are 'Bootstrap Builders' - its a personal choice and you can 'clean-up' redundant Bootstrap stuff (always make a backup first). Then next choice is whether to use a Javascript framework or go 'Vanilla'. jQuery makes life easier but is dropping in popularity and you might also want to do some research into other frameworks like React, Vue and Angular.

Sometimes its horses for courses, how much time do you want/can you afford to spend on learning? What does the project require and what is really important to you? Learning can be fun but it can be time-consuming too 🙂

Paul-M, ACP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2019 0
Oct 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dreamweaver's Insert menu contains a bevy of Bootstrap Components you can quickly insert into your Bootstrap projects.  Navbars, Carousel sliders, Accordions, forms, etc...   With just a few mouse clicks, you can create a responsive starter page in no time.  File > New > Starter Templates...  See Screenshot.

CC-StarterPage.jpg

Nancy O'Shea, ACP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And do Bootstrap Components come with the JavaScript to make the navbars, sliders and accordians work? Or just the HTML and CSS? Is it possible to only use Bootstrap for the Components I need (rather than base the whole site on the framework)?

I don't think Bootstrap forms come with the PHP to email completed forms to an email address?

Many thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2019 0
Oct 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bootstrap is a front end framework only.  It does not make server-side technology decisions for you.   That's up to you based on your coding skills and what your server supports.

A Bootstrap starter template contains the HTML structure, responsive CSS and JavaScript you need for most things.  You can elect to use as little or as much as you want, of course.  But honestly if you use Bootstrap or any framework, use it for everything you can.  Otherwise, what's the point? 

Nancy O'Shea, ACP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've spent a little bit of time looking at DW, Brackets, Sublime and Atom. I really like that in DW I can insert pre built snippets and pre built HTML and CSS. I think I'll learn a lot from that, it creates better code and it will speed things up. I think this is what I'm looking for - a little help (without using a framework which I don't like: too much code). The big thing that I really don't like about DW is the way I can't see my open documents/files/pages. They are arranged horizontally in tabs forcing the user to scroll right. And how can you tell if one of the documents has been edited, but not saved?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 16, 2019 0
Nov 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just  a head's up, Bootstrap components require the complete Bootstrap framework otherwise they won't do anything.   It would be like running an electric fan without a power source.

Horizontal tabs adjacent to the Source Code tab = related files  (CSS, JavaScript, includes, etc...) contained in your source document.  You can disable related files from View menu.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 16, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me suggest one thing,  Post your questions in small chunks with your initial effort/code and a brief explanation as to what do you expect the code to do and somebody here will try to help you out.

Although you can buy extensions for DW but if you really want to learn HTML/CSS then the best thing is to start coding like what you have already started and through experience and seeing what others are doing will teach you more than simply buying off-the-shelf solutions.   These are suitable for professional developers who are charging for their services and you look to me as a hobbyist and so doing it yourself is better with a little help from users here.  

Good luck.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 16, 2019 0