• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dreamweaver SWF does not play in browser but playing in Live View.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2018 Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dreamweaver SWF does not play in browser but playing in Live View. Please help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 05, 2018 Mar 05, 2018

Hi Nancy,

you know I like to try out your hints (Thanks for this!). In my DW the video only works with this code:

<video poster="POSTER_IMAGE.jpg" controls>

<source src="YOUR_VIDEO.mp4" type="video/mp4">

</video>

Hans-Günter

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

did you work in the way, Adobe has prepared for this in How to insert SWF files in Dreamweaver

and there esp.:

cons. nr. 3. Save the file. >>> Dreamweaver informs you that two dependent files, expressInstall.swf and swfobject_modified.js, are being saved to a Scripts folder in your site. Don’t forget to upload these files when you upload the SWF file to your web server. Browsers can’t display the SWF file properly unless you have also uploaded these dependent files.

Hans-Günter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I embedded the SWF in the correct way and it's playing when you view it in Live View.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

veyabilc  wrote

Hi. I embedded the SWF in the correct way and it's playing when you view it in Live View.

Depending on your version of Dw, it may play in live view, but the browser may be blocking your flash content from playing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what is the best solution here Pziecina?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depends on what your flash content is.

If it is for video or audio, then converting it to use the html5 video and audio elements is the simplest solution.

If it is for an animation, then depending on the complexity converting it to a css animation, of an html5 canvas element which requires javascript is also possible. However both are not for the beginner, and will take time to learn.

You could look at the Adobe CC Animate program, but in my opinion it is overly complicated, very limited in use, produces excessive file sizes, and more importantly does not support the best solutions for each individuals requirerments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could use the help of CC Animate since it's an upgraded verson of Flash that i used in creating the Banner animation. But my question is, which format i am going to export the animation if i am going to use it in embedding in dreamweaver? Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina​ wrote:

converting it to use the html5 video and audio
Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Animate is not simply an upgraded version of flash, as it uses the html5 canvas element. For anything related to the web and browsers flash is dead, and a definate do not use.

You could use Animate, and export as html5 canvas, but read my comments about using it.

Another possibility is to use a screen recording utility, and record your flash banner as a video, (as Ben suggests) but if your banner has any interactive content that will not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok let say i will just scrap the animation banner that i made and create a new one Animate CC. When i'm done with the new animation that i created in Animate CC, which format will i export it in order to play in any browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at Create HTML5 Canvas documents in Animate CC

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create and export to html5 canvas, but watch the file sizes very carefully, as it is very easy for Animate to produce excessive file sizes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... on the other hand I remember an answer of Nancy O. (I quote):

"Why are you still using SWF?  Flash is a dead web technology because the major mobile & tablet devices cannot support it.  As a replacement for Flash, look at jQuery or Adobe Edge Animate."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hans G, if i will use Adobe Animate, what format will i export the file when exporting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you are never going to update your browser, flash is dead, as browsers are blocking the use of flash player.

The schedule is as follows -

This year, the fash player must be enabled in the browser setting, on a site by site basis.

Next year, the flash player must be enabled in the browser settings, on EVERY visit.

Year after, the flash player WILL be blocked by browsers completely. That means NO browser will play any flash content.

Mobile devices have had the no use of flash since 2014, (iOS since the very first device) and now it will not work in ant browser/device from the end of 2020. You could offer your flash content as a AIR package, or as a download for the user to play in the stand-alone flash player, but unless the flash content is something so important to your user, do not expect the user to bother.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of things to remember when using Animates html5 canvas -

Export and test any interactive content often, as not all of Animates interactive functions are cross browser. Testing in multiple browsers is a must.

If you are using a Mac, then you will require a vm running to test in IE and Edge.

Don't just watch your created file size, remember to include the file sizes of the supporting files. It is very easy for an Animate created content to become multiple Mb's that the user must download, and mobile device users may be on limited bandwidth speeds, and/or usage caps, so they will not thank you if the total size of files required is excessive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very few people have browsers/devices that support Flash/Shockwave anymore.   To reach the widest possible target audience, you should convert your Flash media to MP4 video.  No plugins or extra media players required.  Simply go to  Insert > HTML > HTML5 Video.

Your code should resemble this:

</video>

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy,

you know I like to try out your hints (Thanks for this!). In my DW the video only works with this code:

</video>

Hans-Günter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... here's the link to my attempt: HTML5 with Video

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of DW?

Which browsers are you testing this code with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Nancy,

according to your hint "Which version of DW?" this time I used DW CC instead of  CC 2015 (My problem with the includes still remains unresolved). In DW CC your code works, see HTML5 with Video ​

Many thanks

Hans-Günter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rarely test video inside DW.  My only concern is how it works in browsers and mobile devices.   That said, all 3 examples on your test page work fine for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Nancy,

from our correspondence I conclude that it makes sense to briefly deal with DW CC. And yet it may be recommendable to use DW CC (2015).

Hans-Günter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines