• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dreamweaver Template not recognizing changed content in dreamweaver [edited for clarity]

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a template which I opened, saved as a new file name and then started editing it. 

I can open the template file and see my edits.

I can see the preview of the template file when I do File>New From template and see my edits.

The new file created doesn't incorporate any of the edits. Its like the File>New process is using the first, unedited version of the template. 

I view the code and see the correct template is linked and ctrl+f shows 'dwt' only occuring once in the file.

I can go Tools, Templaes, Update current page, and nothing changes.

I can remove the template, save, then open then apply template ot page, and nothing changes.

I've recreated my cache. I've dumped my settings. I've tried every suggestion on the boards. 

Someone on this board is right, when DW fails, it fails in a massive, massive way. 

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to use the correct method for creating a Child page from a .DWT Template file, or they won't be "attached". A simple "Save As" will not do the trick. 

To create a Child page in recent versions of DW, after you have saved a .DWT Template to your Defined Site's Templates folder, you...

1. Go to File > New
2. Choose Site Templates in the first column of the dialogue box
3. Select the Site Definition that has the .DWT Template you want to work with in the second column
4. Click the name of the .dwt template file you want to use in the third column
5. Click the Create button

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jon,

Please re-read my post, you are not grasping my problem.

Jen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the new .DWT you created being saved within the Templates folder at the root level of your Defined Site?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I can screen share if you give me your email.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like most of the contributors in these forums, I am not an Adobe Employee. To contact Adobe Customer Care, you will need to use the chat service available here: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html they would likely be able to help you get your program working.

If anyone contacts you via Private Message in the forum, attempting to gain the access you seem to be willing to give, ignore them. They are very likely to be one of the large number of scammers on this site who abuse the PM system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I have a template which I opened, saved as a new file name and then started editing it. "

This first step tells me you don't know how to work with Templates. That's not a template.

PART 1 -- CREATE A NEW TEMPLATE

1. Go to file > New > and create a new document.
  2. Add some content that will appear on all site pages.
  3. Go to File > Save As Template and name it main.dwt.
  4. Add Editable Regions for content that will change from page to page.
  5. Save and close Template.

PART 2 -- CREATE A CHILD PAGE FROM TEMPLATE

1. Go to File > New > Site Template.
  2. Pick your template from the available list -- main.dwt.
  3. Hit Create button.
  4. SaveAs index.html (your home page).

Repeat PART 2 for remaining site pages.  Post back if you have more questions.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a template named filename.dwt, and you open it in dreamweaver, and save it as filename2.dwt. How is filename2.dwt not a second, identical template? And then - if you edit that second template - and still save it as .dwt and still save it in the same templates root folder -  you now have two similar templates. I've been doing this without issue for years. Its how i create sets of templates.

I've now created a new untitled.html using File > New > New from Template and selected filename2.dwt. As explained, during this process, filename2.dwt - in preview during the wizard - shows all the new edits and is clearly different than filename.dwt.

Untitled.html is confrmed as being associated with filename2.dwt by checking the code.

However, none of the edits I mde to filename2.dwt after orginally created it, propagates to the child. I did select update file when template changes, when creating new child untitled.html. As below, detatched template, reattached template, updated page, no change. Its like its only recogizing version one of filename2.dwt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its like its only recogizing version one of filename2.dwt.

There is something going on that we are not privy to. 

If it is in the browser that you do not see the changes, maybe the browser cache is the culprit.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Validate code in second template and fix reported errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can't reproduce your template problem at my end.

Does your local site folder reside on the computer's primary hard drive and not a networked or cloud drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines