Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dreamweaver Uploading Files With Incorrect Permission

Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently done two things

1. Reinstalled the CentOS image on my Linux server with Plesk Obsidian.
  2. Dreamweaver had issues connecting to this fresh install so I followed this guide on the Adobe site to clear my configureation: Unable to connect to SFTP in Dreamweaver

Since doing this, everytime I upload any folder using Dreamweaver, the permission is set to 700 and everytime I upload a file, the permission is set to 600.

I contacted my server provider and they attempted to replicate the situation, uploading files to the server, however they were sucessful in doing so with the correct permissions. They did not specify their upload tool, however it was by S/FTP.

Their Response

I have not been able to replicate the issue, when I accessed using the FTP for the user tim and uploaded a test file and folder the file had 644 permissions and the folder 755, this is what I would expect as a default.

Since then, I have attempted to run through the Abobe Cleaner Tool, uninstall and reinstall Dreamweaver, however all have resulted in the same outcome.

I have searched to see whether there is a special settings place which allows you to specify the permissions files and folders will be uploaded with, however there does not seem to be such feature.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS are you using with DW?  And what are the permissions set at locally?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Windows 10 and I am not sure how to check. Previous to the steps I have taken, all was working perfectly fine, so I'm unsure to why it would be done to any local permissions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try uploading via FileZilla or an alternative FTP client and confirm the issue is limited to within DW only?

The closest thing I read about investigating this is a Windows permissions issue where if Windows has permissions on the file it will try to retain those on the server when transferring via SSH ( https://serverfault.com/questions/822010/how-to-control-permissions-for-files-uploaded-through-sftp-... ).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just downloaded FileZilla and got the same result, which I do not understand as according to IONOS they were able to upload with no problems with permissions which is completely throwing me oss. I followd your link, but if this is the case, how can they upload with correct permissions and myself not. This was not the case before the reinstalation of the CentOS image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason they can and you cannot is because they are on a different computer their local permissions may be allowing the upload to go through properly and could be similar if you shared the file with us and we could potentially upload with success. 

Taking that other post into your account, how are you storing the files?  Is it locally on your machine or on a network location as is the case in that post?  If it is a network location, can you reach out to your network administrator and have them look into this more.  If it is a local location, then you may want to consider making a new user account on the computer to see if the issue is isolated to your account.  If that is the case you can migrate to a new user account on the OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are stored locally.

I have also posted on the Plesk community Facebook group page asking for help there as I did not knw whether this was a Dreamweaver problem or something else. Someone has replied with something which may give an explanation to this as I do have a new CentOS 8 install with Plesk Obsidian

We reported this issue to Plesk support a few weeks ago. The ticket is with their developers and they have not yet confirmed the issue as a bug. But it seems that file ownership is messed up on CentOS 8 + Plesk Obsidian. We have confirmed this on multiple different servers all running CentOS 8.

If you have additional FTP users you will find that files are owned by one of those users (not the vhost's owner) and also the web server process runs as one of the extra FTP users (again not the vhost owner).

It's a bit of an issue but actually we've not seen any negatives as a result of this - it's just a bit annoying.

Hopefully they fix this in an upcoming update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Ben M's suggestion to use a dedicated S/FTP client like Filezilla.  FZ can chmod permissions on the remote server if needed with right-click.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same issue. New Centos server and can only connect via SFTP. Dreamweaver on Mac 10.15.7. New files are uploaded with permision 664 which causes a server error. Easy to correct 1 by 1 but major pain if I batch load new files. Can't find any option in Dreamweaver to set default upload permission. Seems related to SFTP. No issues if I use cyberduck as I can set default permissions. Not efficient to design in Dreamweaver and upload files in a different app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@GaryStg - based on the previous post by the original poster of the thread, the issue is actually within Plesk right now that is causing the issue.  While I agree that DW could look into advanced options, the original issue is caused by something outside of DW's control on the server side.  Have you raised this issue with Plesk as well so they can prioritize a fix?  Like Adobe, if Plesk does not hear from enough users that this is an issue, they won't resolve it from their end either.

In the meantime, Adobe does have a feature request form you can fill out to request this in a future release: https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html .  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@GaryStg for the time being, I upload my work as I normally do using Dreamweaver, but then I fun through the file directory using FileZilla which, like Dreamweaver, allows you to modify the permissions, but then to all files/folders therewithin.

I have been unable to report this issue to Plesk as I am unexperienced enough to understand the issuse and my server provider claims, using my credientials, everything uploaded on their end correctly. It had been suggested it was down to using Windows, the server attempting to replicate the permission set you have on your local machine, but I'm not sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into the same thing today.  Dw uploaded files with permissions that only let the uploading user see them online.  Had to change them on the server.  Obviously, this is a step we'd like to avoid.

Note that this issue has been around for a LONG time.

We're running Apache with OpenSuse.  Dw is running on Windows 10.

While you're at it, Dw Team, please come up with a clean way to work on WordPress sites / themes without installing a local server.

Let me know if I can offer up any other clues for you so that this can be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@AM_Dave,

In case you missed it, DW is only minimally maintained now.  No new features are planned.

As to permissions that only allow certain users to access updated files online, that's totally outside the scope of DW.  Cached browser data is the likely culprit.  

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines