Highlighted

[DW 19 on macOS] How to hide "cloaked elements" in the DW file manager?

Participant ,
Mar 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like the option to "cloake" elements to exclude them from the site sync.

How can I please hide those "cloaked" elements in the file manager of DW?

I use DW 19 on the latest version of macOS.

Thanks.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by anissa_thompson | Adobe Community Professional

(I agree with Jon's assessment... If it isn't intended to be managed or transferred by Dreamweaver, it really shouldn't be in the site folder. Dreamweaver shouldn't be expected to execute OS-level management, and that would be potentially problematic were it introduced into features. I could only imagine how many countless unintended document "hidings" would cause unending file and GIT/repository errors, not to mention misleading team devs. You would be safer setting expectations and standards/convention at your team level to get your file managers to safely move the files out of the site as part of their process.)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

[DW 19 on macOS] How to hide "cloaked elements" in the DW file manager?

Participant ,
Mar 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like the option to "cloake" elements to exclude them from the site sync.

How can I please hide those "cloaked" elements in the file manager of DW?

I use DW 19 on the latest version of macOS.

Thanks.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by anissa_thompson | Adobe Community Professional

(I agree with Jon's assessment... If it isn't intended to be managed or transferred by Dreamweaver, it really shouldn't be in the site folder. Dreamweaver shouldn't be expected to execute OS-level management, and that would be potentially problematic were it introduced into features. I could only imagine how many countless unintended document "hidings" would cause unending file and GIT/repository errors, not to mention misleading team devs. You would be safer setting expectations and standards/convention at your team level to get your file managers to safely move the files out of the site as part of their process.)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 27, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Dreamweaver default way to show cloaked files is to put a red line through the icon. If you want to hide the file completely, then you would need to make it a hidden file in the OS file manager.

Edit: this works on a Windows machine, not sure about a Mac.

Ben

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2019 0
Participant ,
Mar 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ben.

Yes, I know that the red line is shown. But I'm looking for a way to hide those files from the view in the file manager of DW.
I hope there is an option in DW like "hide cloaked files".

What you suggested for Windows, I tried on macOS. Without success, please see my other thread.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2019 0
Mar 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rather than hiding files, what I do is place all files that are not used in the site, like images, passwords Bootstrap source files etc. in a folder called _src. The underscore is so that it stays at the top of the file manager. Cloaking the folder saves it from being uploaded.

Ben

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2019 0
Participant ,
Mar 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When it is me who creates the structure, I do it in a similar way like you.

But sometimes I help others and have to deal with a given structure.

Bad luck for me:
It seems the answer to my question is "no way with DW". No way to hide the cloaked files.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2019 0
Mar 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has been asked for before, but there's no way I've ever seen to hide cloaked files from the Files window, I think, for a good reason...

If a file isn't meant to be in a site, uploaded, or worked with (which is what cloak and hide would mean to a developer), it should probably just be taken out of the local site all together.

Cloaking itself is meant to allow you to visualize those support files in your site window that don't need to be uploaded. Items like .DWT Template files, for example. Cloaking, then hiding them from view, could easily lead to confusion later (where did that file go) after the developer has forgotten about the hypothetical "Hide Cloaked Files" setting a year down the road.

If you like, you can make a feature request for the ability to hide cloaked files here:

Adobe Dreamweaver: Ideas: Hot (1669 ideas) – Adobe Dreamweaver CC: Feature Ideas

and/or here...

Dreamweaver support forum - Ideas

...if enough other users feel the same way and add their votes to your idea, Adobe may see fit to add the function to the program.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2019 2
Participant ,
Mar 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jon, for your comment and your arguments.

Because there are other file managers which offer a way to hide and unhide files/folders I don't think it is a usability problem which cannot be solved in a good way.

Well, I have to accept, that it's not possible. I don't believe, that Adobe will react on ideas from users. I have some experiences as an invited beta tester.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2019 0
Mar 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2019 1