• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[DW 19 on macOS] How to use a symbolic link for a local (image) directory?

Contributor ,
Mar 28, 2019 Mar 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I have 3 different versions of a web magazine locally:

domain.tld (the active version)

draft.domain.tld (the version with new articles not yet published, but short before)

beta.domain.tld (the version with major changes, which needs further development, a field for experiments, tests, etc.)

I like to use the images of one of these three local directories in the two other directories in form of a symbolic link.

So I created a symbolic link of "~/websites/domain/draft.domain.tld/img" in "~/websites/domain/beta.domain.tld/"

In the file manager of the macOS the "~/websites/domain/beta.domain.tld/img" is shown with a little arrow and works without problems. I can access all the images.

But in DW does show in his internal file manager: "For this extension no valid editor could be found"

My question:
How can use a symbolic link of a directory in DW please?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2019 Mar 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand the problem, then the symbolic link has an extension that Dreamweaver does not recognise. If that is the case, then have a look at Adding a custom file extension to Dreamweaver - YouTube

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 29, 2019 Mar 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Ben.

But the symlink has no extension.

I just want to know if DW can handle symlinks or not.

The file manager of the OS, finder, could handle the symlinks without any problem.
So I wonder, why DW can't handle it.

Is there anyone who tried to use symlink in DW? May be on a Linux oder macOS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines