• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DW 2018 freezing when updating site cache

Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using ExpanDrive to access content on an Amazon Cloud Drive account. It basically mounts the cloud drive to appear as if it's a local drive.

Prior to the update, DW '17 was able to work with ExpanDrive.

After updating, whenever the site cache has to be re-created, it gets stuck and either maxes out CPU processing or freezes and activity monitor reads, "Dreamweaver not responding".

After some trouble shooting, it seems that if I can disable the site cache, it doesn't get hung up but then I'm unable to "get" files from the remote site (connection tested and it's successfully connected). Also, it takes a long time for the interface to respond... it then appears there is some latency to placing cursor and when I can begin typing in documents. Scrolling also appears effected by the cache being disabled.

I have also re-set the prefs for DW 18 when starting it up which didn't help much.

Running OS X Sierra 10.12.6 (16G29) on a macbook pro w/ 16 GB ram.

Any suggestions or others w/ similar issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dw is known to have problems when used with files not on the local drive. Mounting a cloud drive as a local drive does not unfortunatly make it a local drive, as it is still not part of the OS's set up.

When you are experiancing cursor or function lag, this can also be caused by working with a none local drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello Paula,

I had a lot of trouble , as describe, I mean experiancing cursor of function lag, DW hanging and not responding anymore until that I force to quit... and I was on pure loca Drive, and hard drive physically SATA connected...

now since quite a while I'm working on a remote synology server system as local drive for the entire studio and projects... that doesn't work certainly not better ... but especially not worse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Birnou,

The problem with pure cloud drives as opposed to physical drives attatched to a personal router, is that the first is operating entirely over the internet, and only giving the appearance of of being mounted as a local drive. It is subject to all the problems of having to work over an internet connection, with all the latency and connection problems associated with an internet connection.

A 'local' drive attatched to a router has been reported as still giving problems with Dw2017, and when i checked using Dw2018 i still had problems, but not as bad as with a 100% remote/cloud drive.

I'm not certain if Dw is using it's file recovery feature over the internet when 'saving' the recovery file, when using a pure cloud drive could be causing the problems, but it may be worth the Dw team checking, as that may make the problems of performance in such a set-up worse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought that whatever the remote aspect of the drive, the passive mode was more or less clement with latency

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunatly not.

With a cloud drive the connection speed no matter how fast ones internet connection is, is still subject to -

• The speed of the software that is using the drive
  • The speed of the software mapping the drive
  • Normal connection problems assosiated with the internet, these are made worse by whatever background internet processes are being used by the users OS.

Local servers connected to a computer via a router are only limited by the connection between the computer and router. What can limit these is the priority that the mounting software assigns to the connection, if someone sets the drive to be used as simple data storage with no cache then trying to work with files directly on the drive can be slow.

The problem for users with the above is that the simple set-up dialogue only asks what the use of the drive will be, and then assigns default settings. Those settings may 'choke' the connection when one works directly with the files stored on the drive, causing the problem reported even though it is not a pure cloud drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mine is set as data storage... and principaly back up datas... I don't find it particulary slow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are drives and then there are other drives, and not all 'local' drives are created equal

The original question poster is using a 100% cloud drive mapped via software as a local drive. This means that all file actions must go through the software before being sent via the internet to and from the cloud drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

I tried having files on Amazon Cloud Drive as well as Dropbox and was unable to recreate this at my end.

Would you help us with the following information -

Select Dreamweaver process in Activity Monitor and select View>Sample process

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 29, 2017 Oct 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi David,

I tried having files on Amazon Cloud Drive and Google Drive as well but was unable to recreate it.

Could you please let us know the number of files that were there in the site you were trying to access.

Thanks and Regards

Ayush Rathi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines