• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DW 2018: How to create a Keyboard Shortcut for Inline Elements like "strong" or "code"?

Contributor ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

In previous versions of DW there were commands to apply inline elements like "strong" or "code".

Those commands are extremly important for me, because I use them a lot. And there's no faster way to apply an element.

In DW 18 these commands do not exist anymore. There are only commands for a couple of block or list elements.

How can I realize a keyboard shortcut to apply inline elements to a highlighted part of the content.

Of course the shortcut should work in the code view as well as in the design view.

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

mistershortcut  wrote

Is it really impossible to create a true shortcut for "code"?
Are there may be plugins, which can give us back, what Adobe has cut off (I have no idea why they did that)?

As far as I know, it's no longer possible to create a simple shortcut for "code" or other HTML elements that have been removed from the Dreamweaver menus. I argued vigorously against their removal.

If you're working in Code View, you can type "code" (without the quotes) and press Tab. That inserts a pair of co

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will find them in the properties panel as in

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To apply strong in Code View or Design View, select the text, and press Ctrl+B (Windows) or Cmd+B (Mac).

To apply code tags in Code View or Design View, select the text, and press Ctrl+T (Windows) or Cmd+T (Mac) to bring up the Wrap tag dialog. Type co and press Enter/Return twice. Not as efficient as a single keyboard shortcut, but faster than adding the opening and closing tags manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@David

David_Powers  schrieb

To apply strong in Code View or Design View, select the text, and press Ctrl+B (Windows) or Cmd+B (Mac).

Thanks. I didn't assumed that "bold" means "strong" because in old versions of DW "bold" meant "b".
Well, nice to know it works for strong and em.

David_Powers  schrieb

To apply code tags in Code View or Design View, select the text, and press Ctrl+T (Windows) or Cmd+T (Mac) to bring up the Wrap tag dialog. Type co and press Enter/Return twice. Not as efficient as a single keyboard shortcut, but faster than adding the opening and closing tags manually.

That are a lot steps to much. I need such commands many times a day. And of course "strong" and "code" were only examples.

Are there may be plugins, which can give us back, what Adobe has cut off (I have no idea why they did that)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mistershortcut  wrote

As far as I know, it's no longer possible to create a simple shortcut for "code" or other HTML elements that have been removed from the Dreamweaver menus. I argued vigorously against their removal.

If you're working in Code View, you can type "code" (without the quotes) and press Tab. That inserts a pair of code tags and leaves the cursor between them ready for you to type or paste your code.

One way to communicate directly with the Dreamweaver engineering team and to make suggestions about improving DW is to join the Dreamweaver prerelease. Go to Adobe Prerelease, select Available Programs, and apply to join Dreamweaver. Once you have joined, you can file feature requests and bug reports. The more people who actively make requests and file bug reports, the more likely Adobe is to address those issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@David

How good to know, that I'm not alone with my criticism about the decision of Adobe to cut off absolutely basic and professional features - the ability to create shortcuts for every HTML element.

Some years ago I was invited to take part at the adobe beta test programm. To be honest: I lost my belief, that there will be any improvement at the basic functionality - like e.g. shortcuts or - other example - a powerful search and replace functionality.

Therefor I will not report bugs anymore. In my experience Adobe doesn't care about those bug reports and about those feature wishes. They only concentrate on "new" features.

My hope was, that there are plugins, which can give us back, what has been cut off.

My personal conclusion: I will not move to DW 2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

It can be seen in Tools->HTML, shortcut key is ctrl+B (win) cmd_B (Mac)

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines