• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DW CC Live View does not give precisely what I was expecting and WampServer used to test is far from being perfect

Explorer ,
Jul 16, 2018 Jul 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SETUP OF TESTING SERVER IN DW CC

================================

I scrupulously followed the indications of David powers in his article Setting Up a Local Testing Server in Dreamweaver CS5 (https://www.adobe.com/devnet/archive/dreamweaver/articles/setup_testing_server.html

as shown in the screenshots below:

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

Save again.

I may be naively hoping for miracles but if I click on an option of the global menu contained in Main Template (from C:wamp64wwwtestdanielpistersindex.php for example), the corresponding page does not open. If buttons and menus are dead why is it called Live View? Not to mention that the menu does not appear as it should at the top of the window.

WAMPSERVER

=============

As for the WampServer, this is much better

The icon on the right side of the screen is green, which means that all services are active.

If I click on Localhost, I get well http://localhost to which I add/testdanielpisters and it understands that it should open index. PHP but if I click on the menu it does not understand that it should open creative. PHP For example in same directory. I then have to specify http://localhost/testdanielpisters/creative.php and from it http://localhost/testdanielpisters/includes/cerativePouhons.html for example. But I think that by looking for a little, I will find the parameter to define. This is all new to me.

The understanding of this post will probably be helped by browsing the site www.danielpisters.be

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 16, 2018 Jul 16, 2018

Menus inside server-side includes should be relative to the parent document  in which the include statements occur.

Assuming site files are at root level, your include links should look like this.

<a href="index.php">HOME</a>

<a href="about.php">ABOUT</a>

<a href="creative.php">CREATIVE</a>

<a href="contact.php">CONTACT</a>

etc...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Live View won't follow links unless you set DW to follow links continuously in Live. The setting is under View > Live View Options > Follow Links Continuously...

The second part of your issue sounds like you may be using site root relative links in your menu, but your local server is expecting your site's folder to appear in the path. You can add the folder to your link paths during development, then remove them when you go live on your remote server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would prefer not having to change anything in order to switch from test code to live code and vice versa. But it is true that the testing server code may be different from the web server code, so that I would have to change the first one only once in order to solve the issue. I'll try it and keep you informed as soon as I get the result.

Many thanks again to Nancy and Jon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Menus inside server-side includes should be relative to the parent document  in which the include statements occur.

Assuming site files are at root level, your include links should look like this.

<a href="index.php">HOME</a>

<a href="about.php">ABOUT</a>

<a href="creative.php">CREATIVE</a>

<a href="contact.php">CONTACT</a>

etc...

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That works (in DW CCC As well as with WampServer) but there is a lot of differences between the live view on the testing server and the result on the web server. The menu, images are completely unorganized, among other small problems or other more important. I suppose having to search a little bit more to solve them. I am wondering whether it is not possible to parameter the WampServer in order that it understand the files dependencies tree (as "/testdanielpisters"-> "/includes" or "/testdanielpisters"-> "/javascripts" as it is understand by the web server, no matter the depth of this tree.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines