• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DW FTP problems

New Here ,
Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is wrong with Dreamweaver FTP and transferring files to a server (any server)? Almost any other FTP program works fine - except Dreamweaver's.

I get almost all possible errors with DW ftp:

- hangs

- waits

- it skips files

- uploads/downloads waaaay too long (for a 1 min job DW needs 30 minutes or more; If I want to upload a few hundreds of small files - for example, 20 MB in total it's almost impossible).

I do have a lot (hundreds/thousands) of files (html, js, PHP,..) in a folder (subfolders).

I am subscribed to Adobe cloud (latest updates), updated WIN, 100Mbps/10Mbps, 8 ms PING, comp i7/16GB/1TB SSD...).

Everything else (Photoshop, even other parts of DW ...) is nice and works great - just FTP is driving me nuts.

FTP is for a web developer the main tool. I can even code in a notepad - but DW is great because we can save files with one click on both places simultaneously (local and server).

I did try a lot of different options (active/passive FTP...) but no luck...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

Over the years, I've had several versions of DW -- some were more stable than others.  I can honestly say, the FTP has never been a big problem for me.   If it ever becomes glitchy, I close DW and clear my cache or restore preferences as that fixes most  problems.

Unusual behavior in Dreamweaver? Try restoring preferences.

I mainly work with dynamic sites but I don't have more than 2,000 files per site folder.    Each site folder resides on my primary hard drive within my local testing server's

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first rule of troubleshooting a problem like this is "check your connections".  Could there be a bottleneck in the network?  Could the network cable on the system that has DW need to be replaced?  Have you checked the system DW is on to make sure that it's solid?

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first rule... read again.

> Almost any other FTP program works fine - except Dreamweaver's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay.. well, I've heard a lot of complaints about DW CC 2018, this could be yet another issue.  Have you tried downgrading to CC 2015?  I've seen many people state that downgrading has 'fixed' their issues.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had DW CS4 version for around 10 years. Old CS4 had a faster FTP client or at least fewer FTP problems compared this new fancy DW CC (but WIN SCP or similar was always even better and faster FTP client).

I subscribed for an Adobe Creative Cloud for an upgrade not downgrade... 😕

If Adobe will not fix this I will close subscription and go for open source solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Over the years, I've had several versions of DW -- some were more stable than others.  I can honestly say, the FTP has never been a big problem for me.   If it ever becomes glitchy, I close DW and clear my cache or restore preferences as that fixes most  problems.

Unusual behavior in Dreamweaver? Try restoring preferences.

I mainly work with dynamic sites but I don't have more than 2,000 files per site folder.    Each site folder resides on my primary hard drive within my local testing server's default web directory (htdocs or www).  

CC-testingServer1.jpg

I use Ctrl+Shift+U to upload an open document to server.  To be quite honest, it happens so fast, I don't even see the background process panel.    If I'm uploading many files, I expand my files panel so I can compare contents of local site with remote server to ensure that the last modified timestamps are consistent.

CC-FilesPanel-expanded.jpg

Finally, I had to turn off Real-Time backups and anti-virus scanning while I work.  When those processes were running in the background, everything came to a crawl.

Hope this helps.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of DW is this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

DW CC 2018

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines