• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DW menu: New bootstrap css or existing ? Why are you asking ?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2018 Sep 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dreamweaver Experts, thanks for reading this and all your help in the past.  While making a new html page in DW the software asks me on the start menu: New bootstrap.css or Existing.css ?  Honestly, sometimes, I choose new and sometimes I choose existing across different Site folders not knowing what difference it makes.  Never seems to make a difference.  Now, choosing BS framework or not certainly does.  The reason why I’m confused by this question is because I thought Bootstrap4.css was read only and all subsequent styling is done inline or on attached css.  Seems like DW should be attaching the same BS4.css every time.  I looked this up on DW support and could not find the answer I was looking for:  thanks for your input.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 15, 2018 Sep 15, 2018

You now have a choice between Bootstrap versions 3 or 4.   They are different so you must understand how they differ and never combine them.

Bootstrap 3 uses floats and works well in older IE 8 - 9 browsers.

Bootstrap 4 uses modern CSS Flexbox and newer classes.  It does not work well in older browsers unless you create fallbacks.   See link below for details on the latest version of Bootstrap 4.1x

https://getbootstrap.com/

You can choose your preferred Bootstrap version  in Edit >  Preferences. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You now have a choice between Bootstrap versions 3 or 4.   They are different so you must understand how they differ and never combine them.

Bootstrap 3 uses floats and works well in older IE 8 - 9 browsers.

Bootstrap 4 uses modern CSS Flexbox and newer classes.  It does not work well in older browsers unless you create fallbacks.   See link below for details on the latest version of Bootstrap 4.1x

https://getbootstrap.com/

You can choose your preferred Bootstrap version  in Edit >  Preferences.  If Dreamweaver detects an older Bootstrap version in your local site folder, that's the one you will get.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to Nancy's great advice, there are other options for Dreamweaver users. It depends on how much automation you want and the quality of the code. PVII Harmony is a page layout tool in which you can completely manage and edit your page layout. Like Bootstrap 4, it uses Flexbox. Unlike Bootstrap, fallbacks for older browsers are handled automatically. This is all accomplished with about 10% of the code weight of Bootstrap. However, it is not free. But the payment is one-time and it includes free unlimited email, forum, and telephone support provided by actual developers based in the US and Europe.

PVIIHarmony Flexbox for Dreamweaver

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should also mention that DW doesn't know if you're creating a new project or adding more pages to an existing one.  So there may be times when you want new assets and times when you don't. 

You are correct about not editing Bootstrap's core files.   Power users often customize Bootstrap with SASS variables & maps.  https://getbootstrap.com/docs/4.0/getting-started/theming/   Once you get the hang of it, SASS saves a lot of time.   But if you're not up to that yet, it's a good idea to create a custom external stylesheet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply and link; I know they will be helpful.  Sorry I don’t mean to beleaguer this issue.  I just wanted to mention this.  I recall starting a page with Bootstrap 4 css.  Then, further on developing it; I used the DW insert menu to put in a Bootstrap row/column or responsive image not sure which now.  I got a message that a version of Bootstrap 3.7 was needed.  I just clicked ok and went on.  I don't recall loosing the ability to use the short-cut flex pt-3, mb-1 ect.  That is the extend of my ability with Bootstrap4 flex features for now. I just thought 3.7 and 4.0 Bootstraps were magically working together…..thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3.7 and 4.0 should not be mixed together.

To be honest, I hand code with Bootstrap.  Code hints and auto code completion are faster for me than insert panels.   I also use Snippets for navigation & components.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bootstrap is not very well developed in Dreamweaver insofar as being an integrated tool. So, if using Bootstrap is really what you want, you would be far better learning the CSS methods that Bootstrap uses and coding things the way Nancy does. The extent of my participation in this thread is to let you know that there are automated tools that are arguably superior to Bootstrap, and better supported, that you could turn to. With that, I wish you good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines