• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DW MX 2004 templates in CS6?

New Here ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am very late to this party but in the olden days I used DW MX 2004 to design a ton of sites.  I recently upgraded to CS6 version.

I opened a couple of my old DWT files in CS6 and it seems as though they are not a compatible match.

Is this so or am I missing something? A setting perhaps.

If they are not compatible is there an imported or converter I should know about?

Thanks all

RG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

I have the latest release of DW CC 19.0.1.  Your code pasted into a new document and examined in Live View looks like this screenshot. 

The only image I see is the one referenced with an absolute URL.  Incidentally, you should change that protocol from HTTP to HTTPS to avoid blocked content issues on your secure server.  Obviously, I can't see any other images because Id on't have them in my local site folder.

I have no major problems with this template except that it needs to be re-built to mod

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Believe me, there is no party here.

If the DWT was well-formed and error free, it should work in CS6. There could be a problem with your site definition or bad code. Can you upload one your bad DWT files and post a link to it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uploaded template to site. See the site at;

techlab2020.com

and the template at:

techlab2020.com/Templates/TechLab2020.dwt

In MX2004 the template looks perfect and the checker tools find nothing wrong, and all pages update when saving an edited dwt file.

Open same template in cs6 and all images, navigation, the footer and left nav column are all gone.

In cs6 under Manage Sites I did define the site and it maked no difference.

Thanks, all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rich,

Your DWT is fine. This is clearly user error of some sort. I used your code to create a new Template in CS6. It works and updates perfectly:

Tech Lab 2020 :: Serious technologies support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest release of DW CC 19.0.1.  Your code pasted into a new document and examined in Live View looks like this screenshot. 

The only image I see is the one referenced with an absolute URL.  Incidentally, you should change that protocol from HTTP to HTTPS to avoid blocked content issues on your secure server.  Obviously, I can't see any other images because Id on't have them in my local site folder.

I have no major problems with this template except that it needs to be re-built to modern code standards.  For usability reasons, we no longer build sites with tables  and navigation based on images & JavaScript.   

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy,

I know the fellow's site needs to be modernized, but the issue at hand is whether DWT created in MX2004 will work in CS6, and it will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It also works on CC 2019 in Live View.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

richg36904152  wrote

I recently upgraded to CS6 version.

Hmmmm....   How recently?   I ask because CS6 is no longer legally sold or supported except as a legacy app with a paid Creative Cloud subscription.  The current version is CC 2019 which is about 8/9  versions newer than CS6.   For your sake, I hope you didn't get hold of a cracked / pirated copy of CS6.

I opened a couple of my old DWT files in CS6 and it seems as though they are not a compatible match.

1. Did you define your local site in DW by going to Site > New Site?
  2. Tempalte files must be in the local site's Templates folder or they won't work.
  3. Are you looking at Code view, Design view or Live view?
  4. Validate HTML & CSS code.  Fix reported errors.
    The W3C Markup Validation Service
    The W3C CSS Validation Service

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a cracked or pirated version. I know because I downloaded it from Adobe's own site.

As for the DWT files in CS6...  I did not (yet) add a definition in Dw for the old site(s) but the DWT files are in a "Templates" folder directly under the local sites' main HTM files folders.  Further, they were properly defined (and still work properly) in MX.

I was looking in design view.

As previously postulated above there could be a problem with the site's definition or bad code.

Next time I spend any time on the issue (in the next week or so) I'll verify that I define a site in the new Dw and if that doesn't give me an answer I'll upload a bad DWT file or post a link to it along with the other files for that site.

Thank you all for the leads as to good ways to start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Geez! I can't mark everyone correct!  I see that an ancient (supposed-to-be-temporary) work-around now makes me fix was whatever it was that was broken in the first place 12 years ago!

Thanks to everyone who found somethings for me to do!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines