• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DW's antiquated spell checker

Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2019 Jul 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an aging writer who has become a very poor typist I'm plagued with typos that disrupt my train of thought. I spend half my time running DW's awkward and antiquated spell check utility while wondering why Adobe doesn't include the modern 'spell check as you type' utility that the rest of the world is using. I note that my 2000 version of MS Word has it. Even this box I'm now typing into now has it. Does it cost too many billions of dollars for Adobe to add it to the Dreamweaver web editor that I pay over $250 dollars a year for the right to use? Maybe its because not enough users complain. Or maybe many just quietly abandon Dreamweaver and start using Microsoft Expression. I already have that program installed on my computer and after talking to Adobe on the phone, feel like I'm being forced to start using it. This is all becoming quite beyond strange, knowing that Adobe Systems is a for profit corporation that should be sensitive to small things that might alienate customers.

As it stands I have to compose my documents in Microsoft Word, block and paste them into Notepad (to strip out unwanted code), then block and copy the text, create a new HTML page in DW and finally paste the raw text into it. I still have to build the desired formatting to include such things as graphics, tables, paragraph indents, font sizes and colors, ad infinitum. This is all while I could have been doing that during the document's composition. What a totally unnecessary rigamarole.

I hate Microsoft and I'm beginning to hate Adobe for forcing me in that direction. Yet I don't seem to have a choice but to drop my paid account in spite of the fact that I like everything else about the software. Adobe doesn't care if I do. So much for that. Goodby cruel world.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 09, 2019 Jul 09, 2019

This is a public user-to-user community with some infrequent staff participation.  Most of us are unpaid volunteers and product users just like you. 

Feel free to submit your feature requests through proper channels where the engineers will see it.  

CC-submitBug.jpg

I used MS Word for DOS long before Windows came on the scene.  I was never a big fan of WordPerfect but hey, to each his/her own.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft Expression doesn't exist anymore as far as I know.  The last update was years ago and they replaced it with the Visual Studio suite.

Have you tried looking into using a CMS instead of building out static content within Dreamweaver? This way you have more of an editor to work with your text via a site's backend as opposed to trying to code everything into place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re:

"Microsoft Expression doesn't exist anymore as far as I know."

It's installed and working on my computer. It just doesn't have active support.

"Have you tried looking into using a CMS instead of building out static content within Dreamweaver?"

What has that got to do with a giant corporation's inability (or refusal) to add a simple spell check utility to their software?

"This way you have more of an editor to work with your text via a site's backend as opposed to trying to code everything into place."

I've been happy for over 25 years to let DM do the coding. Never had a problem. The program was designed to allow us common idiots to use their product.

Just for the record, I don't do eCommerce or even plug my website because I knew up front (1968), well before computers even came on the scene, that nobody would read my stuff. That didn't matter because my agenda involves a different audience that's purely electromagnetic. In a little while you'll know what I'm talking about. So will all the Generals, such as Electric, Dynamics, Motors, Mills, and Public. Maybe even Peter Cotton Tail and and all his powder puffs. Christianity is already nervous as a tied coon needing to take a leak.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the right tools for the job.  Dreamweaver is for web authoring, not word proecessing.  Start with MS Word or similar software to write and check grammar and spelling before you bring content into Dreamweaver.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DW is an excellent word processor. It's only fault today is its unnecessarily sorry spell check utility. Except for that, I can do everything in DW that MS Word can do. And the program has produced some of the best websites ever built. Even so, I think you need bone up on the history of Desktop Publishing. Word doesn't hold a candle anywhere along the like -- and Word Perfect was fourteen jumps ahead of MSW. Bill Gates remains the world's greatest scam artist, is all...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got pulled away in the middle of my post.  Sorry for the interruption. 

MarlinKnight  wrote

As it stands I have to compose my documents in Microsoft Word, block and paste them into Notepad (to strip out unwanted code), then block and copy the text, create a new HTML page in DW and finally paste the raw text into it.

No need for Notepad.  Simply use Edit > Paste Special > Text only or Text with Structure.

Insofar as all the rest goes, that comes with the territory.  Programming for the web is very different from  programming for print.  So you're going to have to deal with HTML structure and CSS styles no matter which web authoring software you use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What makes you think I didn't know all that after using the program for so long? Did you really miss the reason I jumped through the hoops I outlined? It was about the ineptitude of DM's current spell checker. Whatever its reason, Adobe absolutely refuses to address my complaint, even on the phone, even here, even now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a public user-to-user community with some infrequent staff participation.  Most of us are unpaid volunteers and product users just like you. 

Feel free to submit your feature requests through proper channels where the engineers will see it.  

CC-submitBug.jpg

I used MS Word for DOS long before Windows came on the scene.  I was never a big fan of WordPerfect but hey, to each his/her own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re:

"Insofar as all the rest goes...,"

Not a problem.

"Programming for the web is very different from  programming for print."

I manage DW in order to manage the code. That idea was built into the software to begin with. I'm able to tweak code as needed.

"So you're going to have to deal with HTML structure and CSS styles no matter which web authoring software you use."

I never had to 'deal' with any of that. I type words and use all kinds of publishing options including tables, graphics, fonts, indents, page properties of whatever sort, and do it all on the front end of the editor. I've been happy as a clam until the spell check scenario began to bug the daylights out of my toenails.

(I keep think of that line in a song, "You're out there runnin' just to be on the run.")

(I notice this handy little editor has that elusive spell checker thingy...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re:

"No need for Notepad.  Simply use Edit > Paste Special > Text only or Text with Structure."

Unless something's changed, text only jams everything together. Notepad keeps the line breaks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MarlinKnight  wrote

Unless something's changed, text only jams everything together. Notepad keeps the line breaks.

You missed my screenshot in reply #3.  So here it is again.  Give it a try before you pooh-pooh it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a document in Word right now. The plain old copy / paste option works fine. Text only is a wadded up disaster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's a fact that Adobe has no intention of adding the modern spell-check-as-you-go option to Dreamweaver. Further more, they aren't going to so much as hint at the reason. So that's the end of that.

Bye.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines