• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ecommerce website with POS capability

Engaged ,
Feb 01, 2020 Feb 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone called me wanting to configure their Shopify website, saying they needed the point-of-sale capability. I have used Cartweaver in the past, but I doubt it has evolved this functionality. Otherwise I have gotten familiar with the VirtueMart extension for the Joomla CMS, but do not believe it has POS capability either.

Has anyone else been asked about POS capability when asked to do an ecommerce site? Or is the argument in favor of value enough? The non-basic version of Shopify is $79/month.

TOPICS
Extensions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have found a POS extension for VirtueMart, but it is for cash only purchases, can't be configured with a debit/credit card reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at using Square (this is what I use) or Stripe

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 02, 2020 Feb 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Ben. I think the Shopify POS feature integrates with your Shopify website backend inventory, so it makes it unnecessary to allow client access to the backend. I don't know how the Square POS could do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry, but I do not use Shopify, they are much too expensive. You can use Square or Stripe to do the same free of charge, you only pay for the transactions.

At the moment, I am working a an e-commerce solution based on a thought bubble that I expressed here: https://hollandtrade.com.au/wcart. Please try it. The Pay button will be able to use any payment gateway.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's wrong with the Shopify POS?

Does your client use QuickBooks accounting software?

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/point-of-sale/

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's nothing wrong with it, it's just that I would have to sign up for a free 14-day trial and learn how the thing works in order to recommend it to my clients. Whereas I am used to using Cartweaver in DW and VirtueMart in Joomla (and DW).

Not to mention, products like Shopify are usually geared towards people who want to avoid having to hire a web designer in the first place because of a bad experience or whatever. I have had a couple of  merchants call me for help setting up their Shopify website because they quickly realized they were in over their heads and had probably spent so much money that they didn't want to pay Shopify for help.

I suppose what I'm saying is Ecommerce solutions designed for DW and even Joomla are starting to seem quite antiquated and I'm beginning to start to wonder if I should just give up on Ecommerce or give in to learning Shopify.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't build POS systems.  That's not something I want to touch with a 10 foot pole either.   I defer to POS experts.  Let them absorb the liability.

If client is already invested in Shopify for their shopping cart, they should probably stick with Shopify's POS.   $79/month is not an unreasonable cost of doing business.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I thought I had found a solution using the Square Up payment gateway which has an extension for another Joomla e-commerce component, with which you could use the Square reader for offline brick-and-mortar purchase: https://www.j2store.org/extensions/payment-plugins/square-up.html 

But reading the fine print I see that they will not sync the inventory, which is of course one of the most important things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines