Highlighted

editable region of template will not stay activated

Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, 

I am a beginner to Dreamweaver but have been following a tutorial. I have created a template created an editable region which is "main."  I have created a new index.html which is linked to my template. Initially when I saved the document the editable region wasn't activated so did it by going to - tools -> template ->apply the template to the page. After saving it a few times it doesn't activate an editable region and I can't "apply the template to the page." Does anyone know how I can keep the editable the only region activated? 

template.png

index.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

editable region of template will not stay activated

Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, 

I am a beginner to Dreamweaver but have been following a tutorial. I have created a template created an editable region which is "main."  I have created a new index.html which is linked to my template. Initially when I saved the document the editable region wasn't activated so did it by going to - tools -> template ->apply the template to the page. After saving it a few times it doesn't activate an editable region and I can't "apply the template to the page." Does anyone know how I can keep the editable the only region activated? 

template.png

index.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 24, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To work with Templates, switch to Design from the document toolbar.

Document ToolbarDocument Toolbar

To spawn a child page from a DWT Template:

1. Go to File > New > Site Templates > choose a site and Template. 

2. Check the box for Update page when Template changes.  

3. Hit Create button.

4. File > SaveAs index.html (your site's home page) or filename.html.

5. Repeat for other child pages.

Below is a screenshot of my child page in Split view.  Everything outside the Template's Editable Region is locked (grayed out).

Template Child PageTemplate Child Page

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy, 

Thank you for your comment and help.

This is what I have been doing to create a new page with the template, initially everything is greyed out until I save it and the editable region becomes everything rather than what I have chosen. So when I create new pages it deleted what I have created on previous pages.  I  apply the template manually by going to tools -> template ->apply the template to the page. This seems to somewhat work until a few hours later and it reverts back to when I initially save it where nothing is greyed out and everything is editable 😞

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of DW?

Are you working in a defined local site folder that resides on your primary hard drive and not a cloud or networked drive? 

That's a critical first step.  Without a local site folder, DW cannot manage assets for you.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a local site folder. And the current version of Dreamweaver I have is 20.2

I have had a look on the forum and I have the same problem as https://community.adobe.com/t5/dreamweaver/template-issue-areas-outside-of-editable-regions-are-not-... - but doesn't seem to be solved when I move the files elsewhere.  It is currently saved on my documents and I have just tried on my desktop and I have the same issues. I have created a new template as well 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Restore Preferences. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/kb/restore-preferences-dreamweaver.html

Failing that, submit a bug report from your Help Menu and revert to the previous version 20.1 from your Creative Cloud Desktop App.  Post back if you need help finding older versions.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy, 

Thank you so much for your help. 

I've done what you have suggested. Unfortunately, this hasn't worked 😞 I've installed 19.2.1 but now Dreamweaver can't will not let me even manually by going tools -> template -> apply editable region 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 26, 2020 0
Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you remember to switch to Design view from Document Toolbar?  It's very important when working with Templates.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 26, 2020 0